PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump installation problem

87geeinn
12-03-2005, 05:24 PM
1) I ordered a new Walbro fuel pump from fullthrottle and the problem is that the new pump is shorter than the stock pump. Thus, when I went to put it in place, it is not long enough to stay in the bracket assembly (with pulsator and rubber spacer attached)and the assembly is not adjustable. It appears to be the same kit that Kirban's sells and judging by the picture from Kirban's, I'm not missing any parts. Does this new pump eliminate the pulsator and I just cut the 3/8" tube to desired length and attach it? 2) Also, I can't remember which direction to attach the pulsator. It will go on both ways. The only distinguishing factor is the two clips are offset from the middle of the housing on both sides. Help?

87geeinn
12-03-2005, 05:54 PM
This picture shows the pump installed without the pulsator and a small length of 3/8" tube in its place.

http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX-G7-FPKG/Dcp_3061a.jpg

Keller
12-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Pulsator is not supposed to be used, as it is only there to keep things quiet and it restricts flow somewhat. The pump is installed to the hanger with about 2" (going from memory here) fo 5/16" fuel injection rated hose, secured with screw clamps at each end. When tightened securely, this ensures no leaks and provides the necessary length needed to make up for the shorter pump and missing pulsator.

Make sure to open the restrictive inlet end of the fuel line on the hanger a bit. Its surprisingly small, isn't it! A center punch works well for this. Just be gentle and don't destroy it.

Keller
12-03-2005, 05:56 PM
The picture is exactly right.

87geeinn
12-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks!!! The pump installation instructions that came with the pump should be clarified on this matter. Also, it may help future newbies if the step-by-step instructions in the technical section of this site included a quick note. Other than that, the step-by-step instructions have proven to be a valuable tool in my quest for increased fuel delivery. BTW, you should have seen my stock fuel sock after its nearly 20 years of use. WOW! It looked like a piece of beef jerky or something :)

Keller
12-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Maybe we ought to include a picture of that, too! :brows: