PDA

View Full Version : maf translator

1986GN
12-04-2005, 01:05 PM
hello every one... does any one know where i can find out how to install a translator and new LT1 maf sensor.also what are the advantages or disadvantages if any on this modification any help would be apreciated thanks..BY THE WAY IT WOULD BE DONE ON MY 86 GN

Keller
12-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Installation is pretty much plug-n-play.

Advantages: Access to the popular LT1 and LS1 MAF sensors, whereas the OEM TR AC Delco MAF is unavailable, and the quality of the 'rebuilds' is hit-and-miss, and the aftermarket ones are largely just 'miss'. The LT1/LS1 MAFs are larger, and thus have more airflow capacity than the TR MAF. This is a big advantage. They will probably continue to be available from GM (and reliable afthermarket sources) for a long time given the size of the current market for the original cars that use them - worldwide!

Disadvantages: There is a certain amount of 'tuning' possible with this unit. Some of which can be confusing. Also, more 'knobs' is a bad thing for some people, as they already don't have any clue how to properly 'twiddle' the ones they have. However, if handled properly, there is some good fine tunung possible. Even more with the MAF Translator Pro, whic actually makes removing the MAF sensor possible. Not sure how good having the car operate in a speed/density manner is for street driving, emissions, and gas mileage, but I'm not sure those were primary considerations. Have yet to see a Pro.

Summary: I see it as a great, though not terribly cheap, alternative for those looking for another way to go when faced with a potentially failing MAF and don't want the hit-or-miss rebuilt/aftermarket MAFs and want to take advantage of the higher flow, too. There aren't many options out there.

PaCemkr86
12-04-2005, 08:23 PM
after installing my translator plus and LT1 maf on my TTtype and LS1 maf on my GN i saw very nice and noticable gains on driveabilty and tunning, i really like it.

1986GN
12-04-2005, 08:52 PM
what is the price for translator anyone know? and how dificult is it to install

PaCemkr86
12-04-2005, 08:57 PM
go for the translator plus.
and it installs im under 30 mins.

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/items~Bc~FULL.htm

Keller
12-04-2005, 09:57 PM
go for the translator plus.
Hmmm...sure this is really for the amateur? I have yet to see one of these, so I have to admit I'm not yet familiar with them.

http://www.maftranslatorpro.com/

PaCemkr86
12-04-2005, 10:59 PM
there is a transplus
and Maf T Pro

2 totally diff setups

1986GN
12-04-2005, 11:44 PM
ok so which would be the best for my car 86 gn totally stock....i might add press regulator and a couple other minor mods nothing to drastic iam more concerned with drivability and reliability.....

PaCemkr86
12-04-2005, 11:53 PM
translator = able to use ls1/lt1 maf , and wot, part throttle fuel control
translator plus = able to usels1/lt1 maf. and wot, part throttle fuel and timming control

MAF T pro = no maf required, and all kinds of tunning and tweaking control, data logging etc..

Keller
12-05-2005, 12:48 AM
2 totally diff setups
Whoops...my mistake.

So...3 ways to go. (T, T+, T-Pro) Lot to absorb.

PaCemkr86
12-05-2005, 12:51 AM
i have used all of them,

the T pro is my favorite..

It even comes with its software program,
Its kind of Like direct scan, with a cable to plugs right into the Tpro and your laptop, so no need to take your ecm all apart to clean the fingers...

1986GN
12-05-2005, 07:29 PM
iam going to guess my best option would be the translator with LS1 maf...would this be a plug in and done deal for me or do i have to modify ecm,chip.fuel system or anything...

turbojd
12-05-2005, 07:50 PM
For what you want it sounds like what I just did, I bought a MAF translator with a 3" LT1 Mass air flow sensor, plug and play set up easy to install. 2 adjustment knobs under the plastic cover for base settings and one knob control for WOT settings, tells you the base settings on the back of the MAF plastic cover. HTH :)

David Gordon
12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
So is there any power to be gained by switching over to this set-up? About how much power, any dyno numbers?

PaCemkr86
12-08-2005, 05:00 PM
So is there any power to be gained by switching over to this set-up? About how much power, any dyno numbers?
it depends on how good you are at tunning

frank
01-26-2006, 09:31 PM
it depends on how good you are at tunning
What would the price be on the whole conversion.

PaCemkr86
01-26-2006, 10:00 PM
www.maftpro.com

JHensberry
01-27-2006, 12:30 AM
I'd rather pay alittle extra and have tuning room and know what is going on than throw money at it and hope for the best and sit around and wonder why it does not run as well as hoped.

PaCemkr86
02-16-2006, 12:11 PM
i forgot to mention, you can hook up a wide band to the maf T pro and program a target A/F ratio and it will make the changes to get it there
Its pretty neat being able to change fuel/ timming at dam near any RPM you want from the drivers seat.