PDA

View Full Version : these new 'chips'....

buddiiee
12-12-2005, 04:58 AM
Ok, I know it's :bs: but i had to ask, cuz i wanna know exactly why and what for. its just me.

on ebay, there are those stupid a** little resistor 'chips' you plug into that little sensor, 'fooling' the cars ecm into thinking the air is actually colder than it is,

"The module tells your computer the air coming into your car is at a steady 35 degrees. Even if it is cold out side by the time the air hit your engine it has already been heated up by the engines heat. The module will give you back that lost horse power. This product will modify your stock ECU with a Timing Advance Resistor Mod. Once the resistance mod is installed, the ECU will read that the air coming in through the intake is cold air. This will give you the power that you want for your car without spending all that money.
GIVE YOUR CAR THAT HORSEPOWER YOU ALWAYS WANTED!!"

ok so, let me see if i can remember all this crap... doesnt your cars ecm constantly monitor your cars timing, according to all the conditions that exist? for example, if the air your cars breathing at that time, is super hot, doesnt it pull some timing, to avoid detonation, cuz warmer air provides a better haven for detonation than cold air? (which is why i think you can only run soo much boost in a hot air tr?) so, if this thing tricks the ecm into thinking that air is cooler than it actually is, and the engine gives it more timing, but with warmer air, wont that mess things up? do i have a basic understanding of this theory, or do i need to keep hitting the books. :confused:
if this little thing does do what it says it does, would it only help, with a true cold air intake kit, and a decent octane gas? or is it totally worthless. if its worthless, i wanna know why. no short answers. i gotta learn.

Ormand
12-12-2005, 09:52 AM
The ECM for the turbo engine apparently does NOT pull timing based on IAT. At extreme temperatures, it DOES change fueling, but those temps are very, very cold, and very, very hot. The section in the factory shop manual that describes the IAT/MAT mentions timing changes, but that section was written to cover more than one engine- other engines actually do change timing. Since the sensor on a turbo Regal is in the air cleaner, rather than in the intake manifold, it can sense low temps, when the actual manifold temp is high, due to boost. It will also sense a "high", when the car sits in traffic, and the stock location air cleaner is heated by the engine. At idle, or part throttle, the air passing through the turbo won't heat up much, but under boost it, will, so what temp should the ECM use for timing corrections? The knock sensor WILL change timing, and maybe that was the reason for not using the timing table for the turbo Regals. (I'm not an expert on the tables used by the ECM, but I was told that the timing tables are "zeroed out" for the Regals)

PaCemkr86
12-12-2005, 11:35 AM
i dont think the ECM " in our TR's" changes anything with IAT . Its only for data.

In other words, its a sensor the ecm sees and reads , but makes no changes to engine performance.

while using other chips and programs like " maftpro" the IAT sensor is used
but TR in stock forum, i havent found that it does anything , other than turning the check engine light on, when unplugged.
It is useful when data logging though

kenmosher
12-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Yep ...

The resistor thing has been around for a long time and the deal on eBay is a huge scam. Some scammer has potted a 3 cent resistor and then sells it as the universal adapter ... pretty much for the gullible and the ricers.

In most cases, something like this can cause problems, since there is a reason for the IAT sensor doing it's job. By fooling it with a resistor, you CAN increase timing a bit (and sometimes fueling), but there's usually a reason in the cal for it NOT to do that (like to prevent detonation and engine damage). On top of that, most of the latest cars have model based control strategies that will override a single sensor reading something bogus like that, since it won't make sense with the rest of the sensors.

buddiiee
12-12-2005, 11:54 AM
i sorta knew it was a scam, but wanted to know the whys and hows. i should have phrased my question better.. i was meaning for N/A cars.. was thinking of doing an older dodge dakota. but that didnt make sense what that guy was saying.. any sensor, for any reason, is there FOR a reason.. by making a sensor sense the absolute opposite temperature thats actually going in there, it would HAVE to mess something up. all i know is, he said itll advance your timing, (cuz of the fake cold air ) which makes sense.. but in the summer, that air wouldnt be cold, and that has to make for a dangerous situation in the motor i would imagine...

Keller
12-12-2005, 12:01 PM
As Ormand stated, the fueling adjustment is only made for ultra-extremes. Sub-zero temperatures in the stock chip give a little more idle fueling during start-up and idle, as I recall. Other than that, nothing. Not to mention, the MAT is only checked at start-up on this car as I recall, not all the time.

Save your money for a fake BOV noisemaker instead. :winkgrin:

buddiiee
12-13-2005, 11:32 PM
i am SOO there! whoooshh :tup: