PDA

View Full Version : Battery voltage

87geeinn
12-13-2005, 11:16 AM
What should my battery voltage be with the car off? My Scanmaster says around 11v~11.6v. When running it says around 13~14v. Is this a good voltage or should I go shopping? The car seems to turn over just fine as best as I can tell.

zeus87gn
12-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Battery voltage can vary somewhat. It all depends on where you are measuring the voltage, what you may have connected directly to it that may create a 'draw' while the motor is not running, and the overall condition of your electrical system.

In general, your readings from your scanmaster (both running and not) sound about a 1/2 volt low. Not a real big deal unless you want maximum performance out of your alternator.

If you have (or can borrow) a volt meter, check both conditions at the battery termianls. If your readings are about 1/2 volt higher, your have some connection resistance between your electrical system and your scanmaster. If they are the same, your voltage regulator may be on it's last leg. If you are really not sure, you can have the battery and alternator tested to see where the weak link is.

Hope this helps.