PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on 84's

killer69
12-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Brand new here. Hi All.
I am in the process of picking up an 84 GN and wanted your input as to weather this is a good deal or not. following is the list of mods.

No rust on the car that i can see lying on my back
New black leather interior
full auto meter gauge package
new lowered springs / koni shocks
GNX style wheels 16" with BFG gforce tires. 80%
body is in sice shape never painted with t-tops 1 dint in the driver fender
new carpet
new 3" stainless exhaust and stainless headers, up tube , down tube
the motor is not in the car as it is all new
billet main caps
all arp fasteners
balanced
forged pistons
shot peened rods
o ringed heads,
ported heads and intake
TA cam
gear drive
roller rockers
the motor needs to be installed which is not a problem
Just wanted a second, third opinion if 10,000.00 Canadian or 8300.00 Us is a good deal
thanks guys
and if i buy it you will see me here lots more

kenmosher
12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
A couple comments ... $8300 seems pretty steep, but your description sounds like a nice car.

They didn't have black leather from the factory, so that must be something added.

Gear drive? Really? That's a bad idea if you are going to use the stock ECU/knock system. Too noisy in most cases and sends the sensor into spasms!

What turbo? Hot air style?

Personally, without seeing the car or parts, it sounds like too much money for a "DIY" type of thing. For about the same money you can get a later model 86/87 as a starting point.

The good thing is the motor sounds like it's a good solid build up (although I question the gear drive and didn't see the cam specs mentioned or the turbo). Body sounds solid, although interior is aftermarket. It might be worth it to try to get it for a couple thousand less ...

pfredricks
12-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Ken,

The Lear Siegler seats are leather and were standard on the 84 GN. They are grey, not black. The door panels were cloth from the factory.

Killer,

Has the motor for this car been run or dyno'd?

killer69
12-14-2005, 01:50 PM
good comment on the gear drive and the knock sensor
the leather is a replacememt kit and looks very nice even has the power 6 logo on the head rest.
the motor was in the car and has run and driven but the gear drive idler broke and needed to be replaced and the guy just gave up on it and wants to finish his other car,
He has bills for the motor build up at about 11,000.00 Canadian so about 2300.00 us the cam i do not have specs for but it is not a really radical one but is a TA piece.
It has the stock turbo right now.

kenmosher
12-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Yep, I knew that ... I should've been clearer ... the black leather isn't stock was my point. *DOH*:slap: Sorry 'bout that ...

pfredricks
12-14-2005, 02:25 PM
11K Canuck is about 9400 US.

Its a tough call for the value in my estimation. I agree with Ken, any time I gotta do work to make it go drops the price. Ya gotta wonder why the gear drive broke. Ya gotta wonder who built it too. He sees the value since it's his money, but you gotta fix what's broke and wonder why, yada yada yada.

killer69
12-14-2005, 04:41 PM
You Guys know way more about this stuff than i do and i am starting to think i will just WALK AWAY and spend the money on my 69 Camaro instead.

buddiiee
12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
i would.. ive been researching hot air values for the past 6 months, and while the hot airs are very rare, they arent worth that much and i dont know why. im guessing its because the only reason most people like turbo regals, is because of their performance. theres no logical reason, that just because a car doesnt have an intercooler, its not worth that much. any other car, that there was only 2000 stamped out, would be worth a small mint. but not our cars. i guess theyre just not classic enough right now, and noone cares. its pretty much, the more money it takes to make it go fast (not restore but soop up) the less its worth. ive seen many really nice hot airs go for under 6 grand. and i mean really nice, complete rust free cars.

To me, every TR is a beauty, and worth all my efforts..but thats not the reality of it, thats just me, because of my personal obsession with the car. that car youre looking at, is worth nowhere near what that guys asking for it. too much trouble...

Jerryl
12-16-2005, 09:24 AM
............. any other car, that there was only 2000 stamped out, would be worth a small mint. but not our cars. i guess theyre just not classic enough right now .....

Well said.
To the "right person" at the "right time" a Hot Air may be worth 15K ..... Those buyers are usually baby boomers, looking to fulfill a childhood dream; a restored car, perfect shape.

Like anything else, as a seller, YOU have to be at the "right place" at the "right time". Rare occurance, but give it time ..........

For the car described on here, I would say :seeya:
If ONLY I could do it over .......... :)