PDA

View Full Version : Had a loud POP !!!

84GNGary
12-19-2005, 10:35 PM
The other day I drove it for about 45 min with no problems although it was the first time I actually heard the engine ping in 21 years. Anyway I was doing about 25 mph and punched it, them I heard a loud pop/backfire and it lost all power but did not stall and was able to pull over. I found the vac line that goes to the right side of the wastegate came off on the tee fitting. Drove it 45 min home with no problem but I did take it easy too.

Could building boost have caused that line to blow off and that caused the engine to pop. Or could something else happen first that caused the pop and then that is what blew the hose off. Could anything else have happened because of this that I should check out. I hope what I heard was not detonation. All them lines are now getting clamped.

Thanks
Gary.

Bryan C.
01-11-2006, 07:24 PM
The other day I drove it for about 45 min with no problems although it was the first time I actually heard the engine ping in 21 years. Anyway I was doing about 25 mph and punched it, them I heard a loud pop/backfire and it lost all power but did not stall and was able to pull over. I found the vac line that goes to the right side of the wastegate came off on the tee fitting. Drove it 45 min home with no problem but I did take it easy too.

Could building boost have caused that line to blow off and that caused the engine to pop. Or could something else happen first that caused the pop and then that is what blew the hose off. Could anything else have happened because of this that I should check out. I hope what I heard was not detonation. All them lines are now getting clamped.

Thanks
Gary.

I would guess that boost pressure blew the line off and the pop was the result. It is not unheard of to have to use cable ties on vacuum lines. I have several on my car.