PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the exhaust

soggs
09-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Hey all,

Just started to have this problem and was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.

Latley when letting the car idle to warm I have noticed oil being shot out of the exhaust. As the car warms up this becomes less and evantually stops. It's not burning the oil, just shooting oil from the tail pipes.

The car has about 250k kms. on it and has never been rebuilt. The turbo was rebuild about 40k kms. ago.

And advice would be helpfull.

Keller
09-28-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm guessing it may be the from the turbo. Since it is not burned oil, and since it is such a volume of oil (i.e. oil under pressure) that is the likely source. Oil from the rings or valve seals would still get burned, even in a 'cold' engine.

It may be possible to disconnect the feed line from the turbo and route it into a can for a *brief* cold start test. ** But check with a knowledeable turbo expert first! ** I don't think that replacing such a seal requires a complete rebuild.

Turbo2nr
09-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Need a stock turbo with only 9000miles on it? I will be glad to help. I'm sure your turbo is shot. Don't risk engine failure due to debris in oil, from bad turbo, take that thing off!

Scott H.

Danin
09-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Agreed; a local GN owner went through the same ordeal, though his was a little less clear-defined. Turbo bearings were FRIED. He purchased a rebuild kit from a diesel turbo company someplace, I'll get more info if you would like. ALSO; while doing this, if you haven't, spend the extra few bucks on a breather bypass for your valve covers. This will cause oil burning later, and has confounded many! It's well worth the money; I personally had a garage full of junk and managed to piece one together free. Plug for the turbo breather port, filter for the passenger cover, and a filter/cap assembly for the driver cover..I've heard they range from ~$17 to $50...