PDA

View Full Version : Downpipe fit up

87geeinn
01-13-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm going to the 3" TH downpipe soon. I already have the Hooker 2.5" exhaust with the test pipe in (Thank God for no emissions testing in FL!). What, if any, modifications need to be done in order to fit the 3" pipe up to the 2.5" test pipe? Is there going to be a problem with the TH pipe being to long to match directly up to the test pipe as well?

NOTACARLO
01-14-2006, 04:25 PM
The TH unit doesn't include a test pipe?

If not then, take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the end of the test pipe. I think you can also find an expanded union coupler to put the two together. Try Pep Boys or Napa.

The TH pipe should fit right in. You can always cut the test pipe to fit.

turbojd
01-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I just installed an ATR 3" downpipe a couple months ago on my car, I have the Hooker 2 1/2" cat back exhaust system on my car, when I took off the stock downpipe and installed the 3" downpipe on my car I ran into a problem when I went to bolt the 3" cat. conv. into place, it would not fit in place, seems that the 3"downpipe is a little longer than the stock downpipe, I had to take the car to a muffler shop and had them cut back 8" of exhaust pipe to get the 3"cat bolted in place, HTH

Keller
01-14-2006, 08:29 PM
The TH unit doesn't include a test pipe?
Yes it does.

The Houston pipe inclues a test pipe with dump. Or, it is available with a cat for a bit more. The pipe extends back a bit further, so the test/cat is a little shorter than the OEM parts.

The Houston pieces are larger than 2.5" (3" is larger than 2.5") so the stock stuff would not fit - neither in diameter or length.

NOTACARLO
01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
I thought so Scott. I don't think I have ever seen a THDP offered without one.

Survivor87
01-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, that solves a little mystery for me. I was looking at my TH downpipe, which I ordered with the cat option, and trying to match things up with a three inch test pipe that I had bought separately. The test pipe is too long, so it was obviously built to go on a stck style d/p. Kind of tees me off because I specifically told the vendor I was running a Houston pipe. Guess I'll have to cut the thing and get it expanded again to fit up. Thanks for clearing that up; I wasn't able to learn anything from looking at my current exhaust system because the former owner chose to have everything welded, front to back........rats!