PDA

View Full Version : good wastegate

buddiiee
01-14-2006, 07:58 AM
another experiment of mine... its just temporary but, im going to throw a new 3" DP on my stock turbo, and would like to replace my stock wastegate while im at it. I seen that stock replacement 'high pressure' wastegate at kirbans. whaddya think. gimmick or not, and how would that behave with that rjc hybrid boost controller. also, that 3", 2 piece down pipe from kirbans is a good price for a SS dp in my opinion. they say that the 'gm used a certain kind of donut, that necked her down to 2".
Sooo, the new donuts do not? how much diameter does the 'new' donuts take from me? any?
annnd last one. it says it shows you how to port your own turbo exhaust housing. well, the local gn shop around me sells an already ported stock exhaust housing, but states that its a 'thing of the past' now. why, cuz it was found to be nonsense, or 'cuz there are much better 'already free-er flowing' replacements out there now.

Keller
01-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Had to read this one several times to get the full idea...one question per topic is best, really.

A high-pressure wastegate has a tighter spring in it. Almost necessary if you'll be running more than 20-21 PSI. Otherwise, you can crank it tighter all day and it just won't work. The 'high-pressure' one will. Mine has been as high as 25-26 and its still happy. But it doesn't want to go low easily.

No idea how it would play with the 'boost controller'.

That downpipe is OK, I guess. Don't like the fact that it is two pieces. Still uses the stock elbow, and eliminates the donut. My guess is that it will tend to leak and make noise at that location. The original is designed to have some flex with the donut. This one won't. The Houston pipe is bound to have better flow with no shortcuts.

I highly doubt that the stock donut necks to 2", but I'll measure the ID of a spare I have. There is a Fel-Pro number that has a little less restriction if I can find the part number and application.

Ported exhaust housings are perfectly fine. Maybe they are saying that ported exhaust elbows are a thing of the past, due to Houston pipes, which don't use them. Or due to Precision housings, and their better castings that largely eliminate the need for porting and cleanup.

(Side note: Capitalization and puntuation are allowed here. :winkgrin: )

PaCemkr86
01-14-2006, 09:45 PM
i agree go with a houston or ATR down pipe, and get a good wastegate.
I got mine from Precisons Turbo , and there is a huge diff in the tension.

buddiiee
01-15-2006, 04:36 AM
1. Sorry for the multiple question thingy, as I didn't want to waste various threads, for such simpleton questions. Will square it away in the future.

2. As for the Houston or other high-end pipes and gates, I know the good ones, but don't care to spring for the mucho money right now, as I stated in the past, I'm wanting to see how much I can squeeze, from just minimal variations from stock. I will eventually end the season with a Houston pipe, but am looking to save money for now, during the experiment.

3.You say that the high pressure gate doesn't like to go low easily. What do you consider low. Low as in stock boost, or low as in 16-18 lbs? I will want to drive this car on pump gas if I can so, would she do 16 maybe?

4. As far as that ported piece, this is what the local place says: "...Porting the stock elbow is becoming a thing of the past. But if you are building a sleeper or just starting out, it makes a big difference.
..." in referring to the ported stock elbow they sell.

This is what Kirbans' says: "Down pipe comes complete with instructions, clamps and some tips on how to port the turbo exhaust housing before installing this new down pipe.
Fit is excellent because of its unique two-piece design"

5. So in your opinion, when I throw this DP on, how much difference would a ported exhaust housing and stock elbow make?

aannd finally 6. So this pipe doesn't have provisions for donuts eh? Ya' think she'll leak a little on me? Would there be a way to fab some sort of piece on my own, to ensure a more leak-free fit?

Keller
01-15-2006, 03:28 PM
If you don't do multiple threads, when others want to comment, or search a topic in the future, it becomes a big mess. That is what happens on other sites. Use all the toics you want. It costs the same.

The 'high pressure' actuator may have diffuculty below 16-17 or so PSI, especially with a free flowing downpipe and no cat.

I have no idea why your local show thinks that porting the stock elbow is "a thing of the past", other than perhaps because of the Houston pipe and the fact that it doesn't use the elbow.

Porting it will likely not make much difference, but all the little bits add up.

I don't know if the pipe uses a donut or not. Why not ask the source? If it doesn insure you get a new one.

PaCemkr86
01-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Porting it will likely not make much difference, but all the little bits add up.

i totally agree, about all the little bits adding up.
Good point Scott

JSAautomotive
01-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Wont be able to get a Houston down pipe for a while as from what I've been told, Terry is in jail. I need to get my downpipe fixed because the hole for the pivot of my wastegate door was drilled about 3/16" to far away from the exhaust housing causing poor spool up with my turbo. You can see how the wastegate door/button is not sealing all the way around the exhaust housing hole. Only shows about 1/2 of a seating mark. Talking with Jay's GN parts, he says he has another company that is starting to make some new pipes similar to Houstons. Doesn't have any yet but supposed to soon.

Keller
01-16-2006, 12:41 AM
I believe Terry has been in jail for some time. The pipes are being made, and are available. At least he's not in jail for bad business practices. Not that being in jail is a good thing... Regardless, the pipes are available.