PDA

View Full Version : Oil in intercooler

dschona909
09-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I noticed there seems to be a lot of oil getting into the intercooler. I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this. My guess is the turbo seals. The engine was rebuilt recently and runs very good. Any input? Thanks

turbogn86
09-29-2004, 12:46 PM
is the motor stock? stock turbo? stock vacume lines?

Keller
09-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Do you still have the stock pipe from the turbo inlet to the passenger's side valve cover?

edmackenzie
09-29-2004, 02:24 PM
I had the same problem, never came back after I replaced the turbo, my turbo had blow by, was smoking blue all the time too

dschona909
09-29-2004, 02:58 PM
It is the stock turbo with 39k miles. It has all the stock vacuum lines including the vent to the passenger valve cover.

dschona909
09-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks for making me think Scott, I will plug the vent to the valve cover and then see if it is still getting oil in the intercooler.

Keller
09-29-2004, 03:15 PM
That is unquestionably the prime reason why it would be happening. A kit from a TR vendor with a rubber vent cap for the turbo inlet port (use the stock clamp here!) and a breather for the valve cover is the way to go. You can 'roll your own' as well. Clean out your intercooler, and replace your stock intercooler hoses (if you still have those 17-18 year old things!) with some nice aftermarket pieces while you are at it.

turbogn86
09-29-2004, 03:46 PM
i got mine at kirban performance its a nice little kit 16$ or so.

This kit consists of a passenger's side breather with a chrome cap and a rubber plug to close off the turbo inlet bell. As you may know, a lot of those turbo cars are getting oil into the intercooler, which in turn causes the hose connections to loosen up on the inlet pipe. If this problem is allowed to continue, it will gum up the throttle body and cause your turbo to run rough.

Part #1580

Danin
09-30-2004, 12:04 AM
I had this problem as well. The kit these guys are mentioning will definately fix it in one case, the other is your turbo bearings could be shot. (Mine were.) If you suspect the turbo, see how much play the turbo wheels have up/down and left/right (when looking right at it)
If it wiggles and wobbles, rebuild it. I personally bought a local GN owner's old turbo that he'd JUST rebuilt (he upgraded) and he paid $50 for the rebuild kit. If you would like to know where to get the kit, let me know; I'll ask him.
Either way though, that bypass kit is worth it, though that'd be my primary suspect.