PDA

View Full Version : best downpipe

bwieweck
01-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Looking to upgrade to a 3 inch DP. Whick has the most bang for the buck?

NOTACARLO
01-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Terry Houston Pipes are the status quo. As of right now the two companies that manufactured the pipes have gone out of business. There is a wait for the pipes. Lawrence Connley is going to start manufacturing the pipes and so is Red Armstrong of Quadair. ATR makes a DP but I have no experience with that unit. RJC makes a 5" unit that is a work of art, but it does not fit up to the stock turbine. I actually had to make a stainless adapter plate so I can get the car inspected. Then I will add the Precision 52.
I believe the DP that Quadair is making are exact replicas and are now on the market.

PaCemkr86
01-16-2006, 12:30 PM
i have 2 of the atr down pipes, one of the GN and on one the TType one internal and one external
I pefer the internal wategated one.

87geeinn
01-17-2006, 12:03 PM
You could also just attach a 3" inch pipe and run it directly out of the fender. That would be pretty non-restrictive and sound cool too. Seriously, the THDP does appear to have the least restrictive flow since it replaces the factory elbow and not just the pipe itself. That's what I'm getting next. I'm just making sure I have enough money this month to pay for some stamps to mail my power bill off before it gets shut off again. Ok, just kidding. On second thought, just get ridiculous and buy the RJC 5" inch dp.

zeus87gn
01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
I remember reading once that the 3" pipe size isn't the special feature of the TH style downpipe. It was the integrated elbow. Something about the velocity of the air being the same, it just has the ability to flow better because of the integrated elbow.

Anybody else read about that?
Is there any truth to it?

Keller
01-17-2006, 07:20 PM
You could also just attach a 3" inch pipe and run it directly out of the fender. That would be pretty non-restrictive and sound cool too.

...not to mention, you'd destroy a rare TR-only inner fender in the process. Many before you already have, and now regret it.

Unless your are running some strong single-digit ETs, that 5" elbow isn't for you.

mikeelia
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I still have my Mease downpipe sitting in the box in my garage... Along with one of his bigger intercoolers. I haven't gotten around to putting in my presssure regulator yet [though I've don't the pump], so I don't want to do much more until then.

It's good to be back.

Mike E

Mike Licht
01-20-2006, 12:37 PM
We just recieved a couple pipes from Houston this week so they are NOT out of business. they do have lots of backorders however
Mike

PaCemkr86
01-20-2006, 08:32 PM
thanks for the heads up Mike :six: