PDA

View Full Version : Liquid intercoolers

derek
01-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Does anyone have any info or opinions on these. I have my stock IC out and apart (dutt neck was welded today) :tup: :cool: and it looks like one could weld plates on both sides, install a top and bottom fitting, use a small motorcycle rad to dissipate heat, hook up a pump, fill with water and voila, Liquid IC. Anyone seen this? :yesnod:

kenmosher
01-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Yep ... Conley used to use what he called a "cold box" like you describe.

Filled with dry ice and alcohol it was pretty much track only and used a pump to circulate the fluid.

ATR used to sell a really nice liquid intercooler setup, much like you describe. The key is efficiency ... in a closed system you are going air->water and then water->air. IF you can get enough surface area for the heat exchanger and get the air to transfer most of it's heat to the coolant, it can work pretty well.

In practice, air-to-air intercooling is generally more efficient in terms of packaging and heat exchange. Of course, if you can supercool the coolant with ice or other means, the liquid intercooler will have a definite advantage.

derek
01-19-2006, 08:25 PM
When I decide to upgrade my IC I might try this just to see. I'll put it on the ol to-do list. :idea:

NOTACARLO
01-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey Ken, have you ever seen, or remember, the water cooled up-pipe? A friend of mine has one of these he purchased at the Nats quite a while ago. Stock size up pipe with a 3" tube sleeved over with a nipple on each end. Just hook up a small pump and find a reservoir..good to go. He said that it condensated a lot though. I wouldn't imagine that it would decrease charge air temps much, with all that velocity and stuff. Like we say " a little bit adds up".

kenmosher
01-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Yep, Kenne-Bell sold them... pretty much proved to be ineffective for the reasons you cited.