PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some experienced help here...

Barbee
01-19-2006, 11:59 PM
I need some help on our 84GN. It all started this fall. We had a small exhaust leak, which caused one of the plug wires to burn through. I was driving in second gear, going about 15 mph, and I hit the gas, it shifted into 3rd at about 35 mph, and then it went pop, backfired or whatever. I drove easy aster that, and the I hit the gas a couple of times and it kinda studdered. the turbo boost went up and down, and up and down, then it popped a few more times.. Since then we have fixed the exhaust leak, put new 8.5mm plug wires on, and now it does the same thing, just not as bad... Help any ideas???? Nobody here in southern Wisc. knows anything about these beasts... Please help..... Thanks, Kevin and Barbee

PaCemkr86
01-20-2006, 10:45 AM
does it have a rough idle?
if you remove the sprak plugs , do they look the same? " like is one fouled"

I like to remove all the sprak plugs, and run compresson test, to make sure you dont a base engine problem.

pfredricks
01-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Barbee,

Check your vacuum hoses. You can find schematics at:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/enginepage.html

Hope that helps.

Jerryl
01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
.......... I was driving in second gear, going about 15 mph, and I hit the gas, it shifted into 3rd at about 35 mph, and then it went pop, backfired or whatever. I drove easy aster that, and the I hit the gas a couple of times and it kinda studdered. the turbo boost went up and down, and up and down, then it popped a few more times.. Since then we have fixed the exhaust leak, put new 8.5mm plug wires on, and now it does the same thing, just not as bad... Help any ideas???? Nobody here in southern Wisc. knows anything about these beasts... Please help..... Thanks, Kevin and Barbee
Sounds awfull familiar!
The previous post form the experts should get you on the right path.
Any access to a scantool?