PDA

View Full Version : newbee mistake

78estate
01-24-2006, 01:00 PM
hey fellas, id first like to point out this a non-turbo regal, but i didnt really know where else to go to ask about this so i came here. i just bought an 81 regal limited a few weeks ago, and i have come across a problem. as i was givin the old 2bbl 231 a tune up, i ran into the stubborn pcv valve. this is the first buick engine ive worked on, the others having been an olds engine, and tinkering a bit with a chevy 350 in my freinds K5. that being said, this is the first time ive seen the pcv valve NOT on the valve cover, instead it is on the intake manifold. well i tried to pull it out, and being a cheap fram unit, it broke on me, then i proceeded to try to pull the grommet out, which i guess was dryrotted or something cause it was hard as a rock instead of the supple rubber type grommet i normally see. anyway, the grommet broke in half as i tried to get it out, and half of it ended up falling in the motor. my question is, how do i get it out? did it just fall into the sump meaning i have to pull the pan to get it out, or do i have to pull the intake to get to it??? im very confused, thanks in advance for any help.
Vic
81 Regal 231 2bbl

Keller
01-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Been there, done that. Several times, in fact. On a normally aspirated V6 Regal.

There is a valley pan under the intake. So it won't fall into the motor. You could fish around with a gripper to grab it. But you might just break it into pieces, which would be worse. Pull the manifold, if you wish. Or just leave it and get a new grommet. You'll be OK. It won't go anywhere.

78estate
01-24-2006, 01:54 PM
thanks for the reply. i figured i couldnt have been the first guy to do that. i guess ill just leave it in there and get a new one. thanks again for the help
Vic

87geeinn
01-25-2006, 10:27 AM
:lmao: I did the same EXACT thing not too long ago and freaked out when it happened. Thank God these guys responded quickly on the forum and schooled me about the presence of a valley pan before I ripped the entire intake off. Been driving with half a grommet in there ever since w/no problems.