PDA

View Full Version : its not getn gas

hilton27
09-30-2004, 10:26 PM
it has been setting for 9yrs. how do i get old gas out of lines? does it need to be primed.if so howdo you do it.it is not getting gasto throttlebody.where is fuel filter.it is a 87 grand national.

Keller
10-01-2004, 12:56 AM
it has been setting for 9yrs. how do i get old gas out of lines? does it need to be primed.if so howdo you do it.it is not getting gasto throttlebody.where is fuel filter.it is a 87 grand national.

How much gas is in it? (Estimate...percentage of tankfull if known)

If the car was considered operational, I'd suggest you make a pump operation 'cheater' wire to temporarily go from the non-connected black female spade connector on the passenger's side of the engine (near the A/C compressor) to the back of the alternator. Fusing this is a good idea. This is the fuel pump test connector. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wiring.gif Powering up this connector will cause the fuel pump to run.

Now, if you take the metal cap off the driver's side end of the fuel rail, you will find a valve like a tire valve. Cover it with a rag and use a valve remova tool to first relieve pressure (which may exceed 40 PSI of fuel). Then remove this valve by unscrewing it with the tool. Them force a fuel-rated rubber hose of appropriate size (3/8"?) over the end of the rail, and route out to a fuel jug. Hook up the 'cheater' wire from the fuel pump test connector to the power lug on the back of the alternator.

Voila! All your vintage, rancid fuel will flow into the fuel jug.

The fuel filter is inside the frame rail, on the driver's side, just ahead of the rear wheel.

Turbo2nr
10-01-2004, 06:33 AM
Unplug the wire going to the light on the hood. It will fit right into the black connector to power fuel pump. No custom wiring needed. Pump that crap out, change filter, cross fingers! :)

hilton27
10-01-2004, 10:32 AM
i got about 9 gallons out of the tank

hilton27
10-01-2004, 11:43 AM
ok. the fuel pump is not pumping.i put the ohm meter on the harness plug,they all read except the gray one.on pump side.

hilton27
10-02-2004, 11:14 PM
:) got the fuel pump on today and gotr runnin. thanks for the help

Turbo2nr
10-03-2004, 07:43 AM
I don't understand what happened. You pumped out 9 gallons, then pump stopped working? Now it works? You need a fuel pressure guage if you are going to be driving with the old fuel system. At least a new filter! Good luck!

hilton27
10-03-2004, 01:17 PM
i got the gas out of the tank with a hose.the fuel pump never worked.i put a new pump and filter on it and now the car will start.but it does not run very well.it still needs alot of work

Drivenmenuts
10-04-2004, 01:03 PM
One or more of your injectors might be sticking. Half of mine were siezed after sitting for two years.

Turbo2nr
10-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Put them in an ultra-sonic cleaner with kerosene, or some other mild solvent. Call a local dental Lab, or jewelry tech. to find a good ultra sonic unit. I own a Dental lab full of tech goodies. Or just use a good chemical cleaner in the tank.

Scott

hilton27
10-05-2004, 05:58 PM
do you think sea foam will work?

Drivenmenuts
10-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I've heard good results in using Sea Foam. It's worth a try, but the only real way of knowing if your injectors are crap is to obtain a leakdown tool that dealerships used to use. You pulse an injector and read the drop in pressure. It'll tell you if the system is balanced or not.

Or just do like I'm doing and rip them all out and replace them. I tried ultrasonically cleaning mine about a month ago and I'm not 100% positive that it cleans them out entirely.