PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Electrical Problems!!

Rice Cooker
01-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I know there's a few of these "my dash isn't working" threads already, but I didn't want to jack someone else's. Basically, my dash isn't working. :brows:

I'll try and keep this as short and to-the-point as possible. I got the car from a friend, who swears that the dash worked for the first few days after he'd bought the car. Then some genius at Circuit City put in a stereo for him and the dash went out. This guy was a little, shall we say, "flaky" at times, and of course, threw out all receipts and anything of the sort, so there's no way to prove anything. Anyway, he moved away about a month later, and I managed to convince him to sell me the car. I've been trying to figure out what the problem is with a multi-meter and patience, and so far everything I've tested is working fine, so I don't get it. I was in the process of yanking the instrument cluster out completely when it flickered and came on.... making me think it's just a crappy connection somewhere. However, after a short drive, I realized that the only thing actually functioning is the gas gauge, and even then, sometimes I start the car up and it reads liters instead of gallons. Everything lights up, but nothing really works. I'm going crazy here. Is the cluster toast? Or does it sound more like a general wiring issue? Or is it impossible to tell without checking every single wire under the dash? :rant:

This is my first turbo car, and actually my first car with an ECM (I was afraid of fuel-injected cars because of issues like this), so I might be missing something that's plainly obvious to you fancy electromonomical future-car veterans out there. On the other hand, I'm not completely mechanically inept. I managed to check the fuse box all by myself. :brows:

PaCemkr86
01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
mine did the same thing, it was a broken ground wire, near the e brake release handle