PDA

View Full Version : Postons Injector Service

1986GN
01-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Has Any One Used Postons Injector Service And If So Do You Recomend It Or Should I Just Get Some Gm Stock Injectors..this Is For My 86 Completely Stock. I Have The Tools To Do An In Car Sevice With Canister Style Solvent But I Dont Really Trust This Since My Car Has 170 K On It With Original Injecors...also Can Some One Help With Gm Part # For Stock Injectors I Could Not Find Under Part #s In This Site Any Input/help Is Greately Apriciated

JHensberry
01-29-2006, 05:39 PM
I have not dealt with Postons for the injector service but have dealt with them for many years. When the time comes I would trust Postons for flow/balance. They help with restoration to performance. I think the normal lifespan of an injector without worrying about it is around 60,000 miles. The only thing with the solvent is that it cleans the carbon and crud, but if the pintacles themselves are dirty it is hard to correct that without a flow/balance. The flow/balance will truely clean plus tell you the true condition of the injectors.
Hope this helps, Joseph.

1986GN
01-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks For Advice I Will Consider Sending Them To Postons Or I Might Just Get A New Set If I Can Get The Part#s And Find Out Price Vs Postons Service.....also If Iam Buying New Ones What Up Grade Do You Guys Recomend I Will Soon Pull Engine And Overhaul With Minor Mods Nothing Drastic So I Might As Well Up Mgrade Injectors Right??????what Is A Good Up Grade With Stock Ecm As Always Any Input Is Apreciated

JHensberry
01-29-2006, 09:01 PM
The flow and balance is only 100, or you could get a new set of 6 for about 250. IMO, the blues/36# is a good injector choice. Not too big/rich, not too small. The 30# are only slightly bigger than stock. Not to big/rich, not too small. Of course this is for the minor mods you are considering in the future. As always, if you have a plan/path for these cars its always easier to build around that instead of having to change too many things at one time or too often. Thanks, Joseph

1986GN
01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks For Input Are The 36# A Genuine Gm Part If So Does Any One Have The Part # For This Injector The Reason Iam Askimg Is Get A Very Good Discount On Ac Delco Parts Through My Employer As Always Thanks For Imput On Questions

kenmosher
01-30-2006, 01:27 PM
36# are Bosch injectors (at least the classic "blue tops" are). They were used on the Ford SuperCoupes (supercharged T-birds in the early mid-90s)

Probably still available as Ford replacement parts, but I doubt they are listed for GM applications.

You might also consider a set of "60s" if you plan to grow ... they are dead nuts calibrated and there are several chip makers that have them dialed in now. The size of the injector and design of the injector influence the characteristics more than static flow ratings. Modern designs are much more linear and controllable than older design, hence the ability to use 60s on basically stock motors (with the chip properly calibrated for them).

The static flow of an injector will not determine "rich" ... it's the dynamic flow and controllability of the injector that matters.

Ormand
01-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Anything bigger than the 30 lb green stripes (don't think they have the green stripe anymore, though) will not work with a chip made for stock injectors, so if you go bigger than the 30s, you'll need a new chip, too.

Keller
01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
(don't think they have the green stripe anymore, though)
No. Its a green plastic ring at the top portion of the injector. Same with the 42.5 lb./hr. units. And it can be removed for running 'sneaky'. :tup:

1986GN
02-01-2006, 04:54 PM
so for 36# injectors i dont need after market chip correct? for 60 i do correct?

kenmosher
02-01-2006, 04:59 PM
You'll need a chip for either ... the fuel curves need to be calibrated for the particular injector characteristics.

1986GN
02-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks For Input Iam Going To Use 30# For Now Ill Step Up Once I Do A Averhaul Like I Said This Thing Is Got 169k .i Plan To Do A Mojor Overhaul In The Next Year Or So I Will Turn To You Fellas For Advice Since Iam Not That Faniliar With This Engine.iam A Diesel Technician For The Past 14+ Years So Iam Going To Do It Myself I Got All The Tools It Takes. I Over Haul Diesel All The Time Maily Thermo King Units Any Ways Thanks For Advice Always Apreciated