PDA

View Full Version : car died, wont start

stizkidz
01-30-2006, 11:10 PM
I started my car and everything was normal. I put it in drive and it stalled out and died. Now, when I turn the key to "start", nothing happens. It is as if there is no power or the power is cutting off ONLY when I turn the key to "start". I have 100% power to all accessories and the lights work. With the key in the "on" position, everything works fine. Only when I turn the key to "start" nothing works, even the radio turns off. Not to mention my biggest problem that the car won;t start. It wont crank and I cant even hear the starter solenoid engage.

HELP!

Keller
01-31-2006, 03:01 AM
I'll bet its your neutral safety switch. Console shift car? If so, try moving the ring around the column a bit while trying to start it. (Where a column shift would be mounted.) Imagine its not really in the right 'gear' position. Or, put the car in neutral and try to start it.

The switch may be bad, but I bet its position is just out of adjustment.

stizkidz
01-31-2006, 12:04 PM
I forgot to mention that. The car won't start in any gear no matter where the shifter is. Where is the neutral safety switch located exactly? I plan on replacing this first as it seems like a likely culprit.

PaCemkr86
01-31-2006, 01:50 PM
check the ground cable on your battery and where it ground to on the block

Keller
01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Where is the neutral safety switch located exactly? I plan on replacing this first as it seems like a likely culprit.
Its in the lower part of the steering column, under the dash as I recall. The electrical connection could just be off.

stizkidz
01-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Turns out it was the starter. Not typical at all of a starter going bad... It just quit, dead!

dvsgn
02-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Just wondering why did the car die or stall in the first place ?

Wouldn't want that to happen at an intersection or railroad crossing!! :dunno: