PDA

View Full Version : help

susan2265
01-31-2006, 07:08 PM
i have a 86 gn that the motor was rebuilt in july the car has run fine , recently my brake lights quit working but the on in the back window still works. checked and changed bulbs...none were bad..it still ran fine...now i drove it and parked and the next morning it wouldn't start....we have changed the coil pack& module, ecc,cam sensor, crank sensor and the esc module.it still will not start any ideas....

kenmosher
01-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Take a look here .. might help:

http://www.gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

specifically:

http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4380

zeus87gn
02-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Ken and others may be able to help with the non-starting problem. I probably can't help much there. Your brake light problem should not be related to the non-starting problem. I didn't see any reference to it in Ken's post, but I could have missed it.

One of the possible causes can be a white wire in the wiring harness that has a bad connection. It has been discussed in the past as being a common problem. Once you gain access to the lower portion of the column, there is a harness plug that is attached to the outside of the column. Our 87GN had this problem and it was obvious when I got to it as it had burned in two. I fixed the connection and haven't had a probmem since.

Can someone help with finding one of these threads to give a better idea of where this wire is? I can't seem to locate it.

kenmosher
02-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Here's one I found ...

http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1578&highlight=no+brake+lights

I think your analysis is probably on the right track with the column, since does seem to be more and more common. I wonder if it's the tilt mechanism pull on the wires or wearing spots or something?:dunno:

Another possiblity is the brake switches on the top of the pedal ... could be something bad there ...

susan2265
02-01-2006, 02:46 PM
thanks for that info about the brakes.ken, also went to the article you forwarded me to and for some reason I can't get the last diagram on each page to completely print but will keep trying.thanks again.

susan2265
03-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Finally got my car running again, took 2 months and a trip on the flat bed to south carolina. to see wayne haydock of haydock racing. He finally found the problem. the cam sensor wasn't sending the signal to the computer to fire. although the sensor was good and checking good the wire that come loose from the pin into the computer. he replaced the wire and pin and runs great. still no brake lights but we are working on them now.
thanks again for all your help and info.

NOTACARLO
03-19-2006, 11:06 AM
As I have found, the bulbs can be installed backwards, and this leads to all kinds of mahem on the lighting system. Double check the 1157 bulbs, there is only one way they can be installed.....unless....the sockets are worn. Then the bulbs can be installed in either direction. I had a very similar problem. I also recomend checking the brake light switch under the dash at the top half of the pedal. Make sure all of the wires are in good condition, no splices, etc. There is a ground for the rear lights on the drivers side corner of the trunk floor (under the carpet next to the rear panel void).

sandt38
03-19-2006, 11:39 AM
If the third brake light works it is not the switch. The third light recieves a direct signal from the switch, the 2 rear lights recieve their feed from the turn signal switch, which recieves the feed from the brake switch. I have seen a couple things happen here. The wrong tail light bulbs is one thing. Second, right at the front of the drivers side entry door, is there a somewhat bare spot in the carpet right at the threshold plate? I guess alot of people kick this area when they enter the car, and I have on many occasions found there to be a broken wire (solid core wire in there too) right there.

But first, and most likely, check for power coming out of the turn signal switch. We know there is feed coming into the switch (the third brake light tells us this), but I sincerely doubt there is feed coming out of the switch. When you apply the brake you should have power on 2 wires at the connector, a long single row connector right at the base of the column mounted on the column. If you have power on 1, it is the switch. That is most likely the cause.

susan2265
03-25-2006, 09:14 PM
they found the brake light problem in the wiring plug on the drivers side in the trunk. it is working well now.... thanks for the info it helped too