PDA

View Full Version : opinion on exhaust dumps

Barbee
02-15-2006, 07:00 PM
I have an 84 GN with poston headers,new up and down pipe stock size with a high flow cat and hooker header 2.5 dual exhaust it sounds good but I want to make more noise, so I was thinking about getting a dump. what would be the best why to go???

PaCemkr86
02-15-2006, 07:28 PM
might consider gettin a cuttout , that way when the drone gets to be anoying on the freeway you cap it back up.
they also make eletric cutouts if noise is what you are looking for.
http://www.buickgn.com/DMHONEmedium.jpg

http://www.buickgn.com/electricexhaustcutout.htm
On the other hand you can always remove the cat ? and install a test pipe

what mufflers are you using?

Barbee
02-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm using the mufflers that came with the hooker header exhaust I think their aero chamber but not sure, I'm thinking about getting flowmaster 40 series. do you have any other opinion??? If I remove the cat I heard that when you axcelerate It will cut out or something like that, so then I need an adjustable wastegate right?

Phatman
02-15-2006, 09:19 PM
The hooker system is a good budget system. I'd say leave it alone, stay away from the flowmasters, they will only hurt your performance. Follow PaCemkr86's advice.

Barbee
02-15-2006, 09:55 PM
If I put a cut out or dump on before the cat will it still perform good or will it cut out??? I want me car to be louder what is the best way to go ??? bigger down pipe or what?

PaCemkr86
02-16-2006, 02:24 AM
remove the cat and install a test pipe, then go from there, it should plenty loud for ya.
IM running a THDP with a 3.5 test pipe to dual 3inch "yeah i know its overkill"
with straight threw style mufflers off a Dodge cummins "similar to bullets". On a turbo car you want the least amount of restriction, mufflers with chambers like "flowmasters" are a no no. Like the Phatman pointed out

http://krylonracing.com/pace2/PICT0041.JPG

this is an old pic

Barbee
02-16-2006, 06:54 PM
should I get a bigger down pipe lke 3'' inch or what?? I going to get a test pipe and this summer I think I'm going to get 3" inch exhaust with no mufflers how much horse do you think this will give me??? I seen the picture or your exhaust It looks good I bet it sounds good to right??? how big are your rear tires?? do they fit with no problem??

Keller
02-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Keep the 'tire' discussion in the "Wheels and Tire" section, please. :ohyeah: Other people may want to discuss the relevant topic here.

buddiiee
02-22-2006, 10:03 PM
yea, do what the others said. if you take your cat out, trust me, your exhaust will be plenty loud and free flowing at that point. (depending on how modded your engine is) and no flowmasters. those are for N/A regals, that are 6" higher than normal, with 24" rims on them. dont do it. theyre novelties, and are for N/A cars too. and 3" exhaust with no mufflers? noooonononon no. and no too.
Trust me. youll gain nothing. unless your engine is built pretty darn hard. as far as noise only, ditch the cat. trust me. itll be loud. if you want it louder, throw some straight thru mufflers on it. at that point, it will be pretty much the loudest it can be. to the point where itll be annoying. TRUST ME on this. (but, that all depends on how often you drive the beast. if its a twice a month car, fine, but if its a daily driver, it will be kinda loud for that, imho)
At that point, (as far as HP gains) youll be flowin more air than you think you will. you may gain a tad bit more hp/torque. but not as much as you think you will. if your engine is stock to slightly modded, and you are runnin the headers with duals, youre fine. totally. to save money though, just yank all that crap out of the cat, and replace your mufflers with straight thru's like dynomax ultraflows. youll be just fine for a long time. you wont need anything else. i did quite a bit of research on exhaust systems this past 2 weeks. i found out some interesting info.