PDA

View Full Version : Casper's fuel gauge

87geeinn
02-22-2006, 08:14 PM
So I get out of the gym today, smell gas as I was getting into the car, checked under the hood, and my Casper's fuel pressure gauge extension had cracked and was leaking fuel. Anyone had this happen to them? Then, while trying to remove it, the brass tee cracked in two pieces and fuel sprayed everywhere.

Keller
02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
That stinks...

I'd ring 'em up if its pretty new and see if they'll stand behind it.

I'm more worried because I bought one of these and it didn't look that strong to me to begin with... :nope:

87geeinn
02-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Which didn't look that strong? The gauge or the fuel tee? The tee bent the first time I attached it to the fuel rail. I'm curious: Is a cracked guage something that can occur from time to time or is it indicitive of a problem? It just seemed strange to me that the thing cracked open after it was fine only minutes before. This has gotten me nervous because of the obviously dangerous consequences of a fuel leak under the hood. :flame:

Keller
02-22-2006, 11:42 PM
I was referring to the multiple outlet gizmo. Not sure of the formal name.

The gauge and elbow looked fine. Got to be careful not to overtighten such fittings. That is a common mistake. Possible you did that?

87geeinn
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
The little stem that protrudes after the rail fitting is very fragile and easy to bend. Maybe I should have mentioned that the glass window on the gauge is what cracked. It looked as though as it had dropped on a cocrete floor or something. I checked it at the Pep Boys literally a half a mile from my gym and it was fine. I come out of the gym and it looked like it was dropped out of a plane. WTF?

needforspeed150
02-27-2006, 12:51 PM
The same thing happened to me. Pretty much sucks.

Survivor87
02-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey....I'm getting a little nervous here. Just bought one of these recently myself. At least its not installed yet. I would comment though that I e-mailed Casper's when mine came in because it had a quarter-sized air bubble in the face. Asked them if this was normal and they responded that it was, saying that the air was there purposely for pressure relief. (Not fuel pressure, but internal pressure in the guage from the liquid expanding due to heat). I wonder if this is what caused your problem.

87geeinn
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Well, at least customer service at Caspers is good. I contacted them and they are going to send me a new gauge and new tee. I will reinstall and keep a careful eye under the hood and post results.

Survivor87
02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Did they have any idea what may have caused it?

87geeinn
02-27-2006, 03:18 PM
No. They claimed that they haven't had any problems with those gauges either. They also speculated that a rock may have come up and hit it, which I highly doubt. I had it laying over near the relays on the driver's side inner fender. needforspeed150, the same thing happened to you with the same gauge? What happened in your case?