PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate actuator?

dorokusai23
02-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Hey guys, I have a question about wastegate's. I have a couple of parts my pop's left when he passed on for the GN, one of them including an HKS Wastegate actuator with the piping and all. Does anyone have one in their car? I believe that he wanted this put on his car but how are they? Is it a necessity? What's it good for? Where to place it? I've seen those imports with blow off valves- are they somewhat the same thing? I'm still learning alot about this car that I didn't bother to pay much attention too when I was younger and kicking myself for it.
Would love any guidance.
Thanks. :dunno:

PaCemkr86
02-28-2006, 10:04 AM
is it a wastegate or a blow off valve? try uploading a pic, and ill see if i can help you

NOTACARLO
02-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I believe that is just an HKS external wastegate. You can use'em, but they are typically for larger turbos. Send some pics.

dorokusai23
02-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, it's an external wastegate actuator, I'll send a pic of it when I get back. Still trying to settle the score with the muffler shop today. :screwy:

dorokusai23
02-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Well I have the pic's here and I hope someone can tell me the difference and what use it can be for me. Thanks.

dorokusai23
02-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Here is another pic. I wish this was easier then posting them one by one.

dorokusai23
02-28-2006, 09:09 PM
One more pic! :ow:

PaCemkr86
03-01-2006, 12:25 AM
dude thats a bov, not a wastegate actuator

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/12933/bov1.jpg

NOTACARLO
03-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Pictures are worth....4 words. Yep, thats a BOV.

Lots of discussion on this site on whether these things belong on a TR.

I throw my vote in as :no

PaCemkr86
03-01-2006, 02:25 AM
to bov or not to bov, its really just preference..
same people like em some dont.. who cares

dorokusai23
03-01-2006, 03:51 AM
Why no? Is it because alot of tuner's have 'em or they aren't helpful for our kinda cars? Personally I'm not too impressed by the flutter I hear after I release the gas. As a BOV I woulda' thought they'd be helpful... aftermarket wise also. :confused:

NOTACARLO
03-01-2006, 01:33 PM
IMHO

Since all TR's are automatics, there's not a huge need to relieve boost pressure between shifts. Since out foot is in it the whole way down the track a BOV wouldn't be usefull.

It has also been said that when air rushes back out of the compressor it can dammage the scroll shaft/bearing. I have seen no proof that this occurs. Garrett doesn't seem too worried about it either.

Like PaCemkr said, some people prefer'em some don't. I kinda' liken the sound to flushung a toilet at 37,000 feet.

dorokusai23
03-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey, I finally got my throttle pipe made with the flange for the bov, got the tee and line, can anyone either point me to where to tee off from. I bought another throttle body pipe in case I didn't like the result. Gonna give it a shot since it was here. Thanks!

NOTACARLO
03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Straight off of the compressor housing. Tee off of the line going to the wastegate solenoid.

Keller
03-15-2006, 03:11 AM
As a BOV I woulda' thought they'd be helpful... aftermarket wise also.
Yep...they help the aftermarket sell parts. :crackup:

Count me in the "no" column as well. I don't think these cars need them, as they are automatics and you won't loose boost on shifts. Plus, if you don't reroute the boost back into the intake tract, its just a noisemaker. See old discussions on this site, which even include links to a fake noisemaker for the 'rice' crowd. If you are getting 'compressor slam' noises, stop driving the car like that to make it happen. In addition, if its not working 100% right, it will be a pressure bleed from your intake tract. Might as well make a boss to cover up the hole so you can compare when you have a problem right now.

Anyway...just my opinion. Have helped several locals with these and I don't favor them. I don't think they're necessary on these cars, but I've just had bad experiences with them. Caveat emptor.