PDA

View Full Version : Just who is Lear Siegler, and why are his seats in my '84 GN

Spool'n Fool
03-08-2006, 11:35 PM
I was hoping to find an answer to this question as well as how many cars had the leather seat interior in 84? (LS is a High Tech Company, making aircraft types of seats??) I remember Levi's doing it once for Jeep and I think AMC cars.

I've heard rumors they made 200 or so with these seats??
Are the 84's any more valuable with the leather interior?

Turbobuick2
03-09-2006, 11:19 AM
i just purchased my first gn, (a 84), and it has the leather seats, they are in great shape except for one tear in the leather, (bummer) and their pretty dirty. they are power and have all the adjustment options with the turbo 6 logo in the leather. i'm going to get them redone and haven't done any researching yet as to where to send them. these seats are way better than the reg. bucket seats that went in all the other gns being they look and feel like sports car seats. i wonder why they didn't put them in all of them?

Spool'n Fool
03-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Good luck finding material, I wish I could tell you where to look. It's a little tough to locate.
I lucked out and my interior guy found 4 yards of the original bolster/door panel material so I grabbed it all. I need one bolster redone but my leather is all mint (luckily)..

kenmosher
03-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Pretty sure that Trim code 995 (the seats) was part of the WE2 package in 1984/85. That would mean that all GNs had them in those years (about 2000 according to http://www.gnttype.org/general/product.html)

As far as Lear Siegler ... from:
http://lear.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=partners

The 1980s presented the most historic years for the company, which was now organized into six areas: aerospace, automotive/agricultural, automotive service products, material handling/machine tool, electronics & commercial products. In 1987, a leveraged buyout of Lear Siegler was launched that resulted in the sale of all of the company’s divisions, but left the automotive division undisturbed. The General Seating Division was incorporated as the Lear Siegler Seating Corporation and a year later, Lear Holdings Corporation was organized by management to buyout the automotive operations.

Spool'n Fool
03-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Good info on Lear Siegler!

I'm not sure if I agree with the "all cars came with leather though". I've seen 84's with the same/similar interior as my 87 GN.

Where is the trim code located so I can check that number? I wasn't able to locate it.

Thanks!

Spool'n Fool
03-11-2006, 01:47 AM
I found a 60H on my trim tag by the cowl/windshield. The example in the RPO fact page for a 86 shows this 60H to be the Lear Siegler front and rear.

I'll keep deciphering...

Keller
03-11-2006, 10:40 AM
The example in the RPO fact page for a 86 shows this 60H to be the Lear Siegler front and rear.
Only '84 cars had this, so it should not be listed for '86.

kenmosher
03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
This seems to be in a lot of places on the web (and I think it was lifted from Steven Dove's GN Facts & Figures book).

1984 saw the return of the Grand National, now with a turbocharged, fuel injected V6 (Engine Code LM9) that was rated at 200 bhp and 300 lb-ft of torque. The new SFI (Sequential Fuel Injection) system handled fuel management and the engine also included an electronic waste gate control for engine boost adjustments. The Grand National package (Option WE2) came with the standard black paint, black bumpers, rub strips, and guards, black front air dam, a deck lid spoiler, aluminum wheels with black paint, Lear Siegler front and rear seats (trim code 995) with a stylized "6" embroidered on the front seats, and Grand National identification on the exterior and instrument panel.

Spool'n Fool
03-12-2006, 12:48 AM
This keeps getting more interesting and I'm confused (but that's OK)... I feel like Columbo (Peter Falk as a detective in the 80's for you youn'gns)

I can't find the 995 option listed anywhere on my car?

The "cowl" tag shows
60H 19L 19U L

Did LS make the normal grey/black seats as well? and is the code 60H for them? The light sand grey part is confusing... My 87 GN does not have that code.

If so, maybe the interior was swapped?

Below is the info from the RPO segment for the 86 I talked about. I didn't think the 86 GN's had the leather option except maybe in a T Type?

You learn something new everyday it seems.

1986 WE-2 Option -- Regal Grand National

C60 AIR CONDITIONING

D35 REMOTE CONTROL MIRRORS
D55 FULL LENGTH CONSOLE
LC2 3.8 L SFI TURBO WITH INTERCOOLER
U63 RADIO - AM
MXO 2OO-4R AUTO TRANS
QYZ TIRE -- BLACKWALL P215/65R15
QYH TIRE -- WHITE LETTER P215/65R15
B19 STEERING WHEEL HORN CAP EMBLEM
60H LEAR SIEGLER FRT SEAT W/MATCHING REAR SEAT
EMBROIDERED "6" ON FRT SEAT BACK COLOR: LT. SAND GREY
BY4 I/P NAMEPLATE APPLIQUE "GRAND NATIONAL"
W11 T TYPE PACKAGE
GM19 BLACK EXTERIOR COLOR
T43 REAR SPOILER
BX1 EXTERIOR ORNAMENTATION FRT END SPL
VH6 BAR -- RR IMPACT (BLACK)

Keller
03-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Below is the info from the RPO segment for the 86 I talked about. I didn't think the 86 GN's had the leather option except maybe in a T Type?
Listen carefully: Only the '84 GNs had the Lear Siegler seats. Codes get reused at GM. Don't look for something your car never had. The only other (factory) leather seats a TR might have is an '87 Limited with the leather seat option, and those are quite rare.

Spool'n Fool
03-12-2006, 09:57 AM
OK,

I am now a believer... I looked thru more threads on other sites and saw repeated info.

One of 2000 is still respectable. I may flip it to acquire another 86 or 87 intercooled then.

Thanks for the guidance!

buickmann
11-08-2006, 02:14 PM
I have a 84 GN with leather seats. They are manual and don't have a colored 6 logo. I think they might be 82 grand national seats which are also Lear Siegler. I also don't have power windows or power locks. I am excited that I might have a pretty rare combo.

turbofish38
11-08-2006, 06:02 PM
I might clarify some of the information posted in this thread. First LS seats were standard on the 84 GN. They were an option in the T-Type for the 84-86 model years. The 995 was a trim code that designated the GN interior in 1984. It was an internal code used only in the ordering and manufacturing phase.The number on the SPID label is 60I and the color and material is 60H. 85 to 87 GNs did not use this interior and you could not order the LS seats in them. Again,you could on the T-Type although they had all cloth covers instead of leather. The trim code was 583 for all 85 to 87 GNs.The codes on the SPID label are 82I and 82C. A drivers side power seat was an option in all of the years and models. When talking about the interiors there are more or less two generations as far as the 84-87 GN is concerned. The 84 is first generation and shares most of its colors and fabric types with the early 81-83 Regal. This is evident in its charcoal colored dash pad and multi gray colored interior trim panels. 85 to 87 is second generation with subtle deferences to minor trim pieces and a more monochromatic choice of one color of gray for the inerior trim panels. Each year had one particular componet to set it off. 85 had black trim on the seat hinge portion with black pull straps on the doors. 86 had gray trim on the seat hinges with black pull straps. 87 had gray seat hinge trim with gray pull straps. If you are sharp you can tell what year of GN you are in if you look at this combination. As far as the LS seats go each year and model had its own unique turbo 6 logo embroidered on the head rest. Even the 82 GN was unique. I don't have enough information to explain what each individual year had but more or less the GN has red and orange thread and the T-Type used several colors of gray. And the pattern was a tad different for each version. The LS seat can be easily indentified by a lumbar adjustment knob on the outer back side and a two part lower cushion with an adjustment to add support to the thighs.They also had an adjustable side bolster which included another knob down on the side of the seat lower cushion. The LS was a popular option as Buick used the seats in quite a few of their models including the budget minded Skyhawk.Although usually when they did it was part of a specific option package. Chevrolet also offered them in the 82-85 Camaro and Pontiac in the turbo'd Sunfire.

buddiiee
11-10-2006, 05:01 AM
turbo sunfire?

kenmosher
11-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Yep ... and the Buick Skyhawk (J platform)

Late 80s up until about '91 ... turbo 1.8 Brazilian motor, later replaced by the 2.0 motor with turbo.

Keller
11-10-2006, 01:19 PM
...which I'm pretty sure is an Opel family engine. (ergo, non-Buick)

buddiiee
11-10-2006, 08:57 PM
you mean turbo sunBIRD...

Keller
11-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Right you are.

http://richfiles.solarbotics.net/SunbirdEngine.html