PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning system

john saleeby
03-10-2006, 08:05 PM
My A/C system is inoperable. Is there a kit that converts our system (1987 GN) to the new type of refrigerant. If so, what are some tips on making the changeover and can it be dne by the do it your selfer? How do some of you who have a "kit" rate the performance as compared to the stock A/C system?

kenmosher
03-11-2006, 11:25 AM
The system is a standard GM system, so any R134a kit for GM cars/trucks should work fine.

Usually you need a new dryer and an orifice tube that is calibated for the new refrigerant. Some hoses are not compatible with HFCs (r134a) and will leak, so sometimes it's best to just take it to a shop that does the conversions.

Here's an article:

http://teamchicago.com/imperial/imp-ac.htm

Keller
03-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I think the big secret with conversions is getting a good vacuum in the system to start with. If you have a compressor, Harbor Freight and similar companies that have offshore tools and such have a gizmo that lets you suck the system down using the compressor. Bought one locally for $20 or less, and using that and a $80 gauge set, got my already-converterted Reatta charged back up again with 134a. Worked great.

Planning to do a full conversion on my T shortly, including a new compressor, new (chromed) lines (the new ones are barrier - 134a compatible), new (chromed) drier, new orfice tube, etc.

john saleeby
03-16-2006, 05:57 AM
Thank You Ken And Scott