PDA

View Full Version : fuel line question

begal
03-24-2006, 05:44 PM
okay you guys are going to think i am stupid...but i just work on imports all the time and domestics are a whole new field. i am starting my 78 regal t type ressurection. i need new fuel lines and brake lines...the brake lines are not an issue tho. i want to put that stainless steel braided line in because number one:i think its easier and number two:its better. my question is, how much line do i need to get and is there any brands i should stay away from...i am totally clueless. thanks for your guys' help. this is the first of many, many questions.

Keller
03-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Question: We are talking about a '78 here, right? As in Sport Coupe? As in carbed turbo, not fuel injected? Just checking, as this will influence your use of lines. The fuel pressures used in a FI car may easily be 10x those in a carbed car or more at full boost.

sandt38
03-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah, Steel Braid is not really nessicary on a vehicle with ~5 PSI of FP. It may look pretty, but it seems foolish to waste the money there rather then spending it where performance can be gained. If you really want the steel braid look, get the steel braid sleve kits available for WAY less money.

Here (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D350002&N=115+4294924496&autoview=sku) For $25 you can have the apearance of several hundred dollars of braid underhood... Remember, at 5 PSI braid is overkill.

begal
03-26-2006, 12:43 PM
well my car is a '78 t-type. it was a factory turbo car, but i blew that motor up. now i am slowly building a 4.3 turbo motor to put in...but currently i have a 307 out of a cutlass because it bolted up to my factory mounts and tranny. the car sat for four years. so i need to replace fuel line and brake line front to back. i am basically lost and need direction. i figured i would get that braided line cause it would be the easiest to install. Help?!?

Keller
03-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Well, 307 = Olds and 4.3 V6 = Chevy so I don't know what you're building, but its not Buick powered. So there is a limit to what we can chat about with your frankencombos here. I'd suggest just getting some raw line and bending tools and going to town with it if you are staying carbed.

Remember, if its not Buick-powered we don't discuss it here. :nono:

begal
03-26-2006, 01:47 PM
sorry i meant another 3.8 turbo motor...a buddy suggested a 4.3 at one time...but like you said...its not buick...anyway...so yeah it has a 307 in it for the moment...sorry if that pisses some guys off...but i am a broke college student trying to hold on to this project me and my dad started...so anyway...it sounds like i should just get regular line and bending tools and get to work.