PDA

View Full Version : Why is my 87 gn's front end not as stiff as my 84?

Turbobuick2
03-26-2006, 11:05 PM
I admit to doing very little research on this. I've done a bit of online searching but haven't came up with anything. Maybe someone can help a dummy (me) out. I had a 84 t-type back in high school (early 90's) and was very sad when I had to sell it back in 95. I've been dreaming of a day when I would be able to own a actual GN, and now I finally do. Not just one, but two, a 84 and a 87. Both are all original, completely stock, low mile GN's (I will be taking some pictures for my profile probably next weekend). I will be keeping both stock and will not be modifying in any way. I noticed that my 84 corners a lot better (stiffer, almost zero roll) than the 87 on really tight turns. After taking a look underneath of both, I noticed that the 84 has the two really thick support bars up front of the frame (not the stabilizer bar), these are bolted on and protruding frontwards. They don't like aftermarket add ons. They look factory and like they've always been there. Their not on my 87 GN, and it looks like for good reason, being that there would just be no room for them physically. Theres a lot more going on down low up front due to the intercooler. Does this sound right to anyone? Why wouldn't Buick find a way to compensate to keep the stiffer front end for the 86 and 87's?

Keller
03-27-2006, 12:17 AM
These go from the center under the engine to the front corners of the frame? If so, those are GM parts, but were not used on any Regals. They will fit, and you can use them. (I put a set un my '87 T.) However, they were not factory on any Regal. (Your '84 included.) If you want them, get them and install them. Either from the junkyard or the dealer. They will fit just fine.