PDA

View Full Version : Grand National Trailer hitch

Hyser
03-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Need to be able to pull a small trailer with the '87 GN this fall. No more than 1000lbs in trailer and 150lb tongue weight; (tires, small tool box, floor jack and gas powered compressor, etc.) a Class 1 would do it.

Just wondered if the fitment would be the same as a Monte Carlo of the same year.

I drew the short straw, the least expensive of the cars going.

Thanks

NOTACARLO
03-27-2006, 10:38 AM
You drew the short straw? Are you doing this for your benefit, or is there an entity that is requiring this....cuz I'd tell'em to stick it.

When the other vehicles are 20+ years old, are they still going to be worth the original sticker price?

I know it can be done (trailer tow), but I wouldn't risk it. IMHO

Hyser
03-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Going to Drag Week and my car is of the least value by several thousand and has the ability. Will a Monte Carlo hitch fit?

JHensberry
03-28-2006, 08:39 PM
I agree with NOTACARLO, why should your car be "devalued"? It may not be worth much to them, in their opinion, but what is it worth to you?
What is wrong with finding someone else to drive a cheap rental?
I am sure you can get a cheap hitch from U-Haul or the dealer for a Monte Hitch, since it is a G-body car, but who is going to pay that expense?
So what if your car is not as pristine as the others, you should not have to pay/wear/tear for their fortunate luck. JMO

Keller
03-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Look, if he is doing Hot Rod's "Drag Week" his car has to carry all its own stuff. Period. No follow-cars carrying other crap.

IMHO, you don't need a trailer. I go to the GS Nats every year with no trailer. I carry a jack, tools, gas, tires, clothes, etc. All in my trunk or the passenger's compartment. Its just a matter of careful arrangement.

Put a decent size jack in the spare well. Cover the trunk floor with a piece of carpet. Put two toolboxes on the raised trunk area over the rear end. Put the race tires/wheels face down over the trunk floor. Put all the spares and misc fluids in small boxes around the trunk and in the race wheel recesses. Put the race fuel jugs in the rear seat footwells. Helmet bag and luggage in the rear seat.

You're all set!

Now, if you have to go with a trailer, find a U-Haul and talk to them about hitch install. They actually do great installs, and have great custom hitches. They will have a Class 2 that will bolt on to your frame, and you'll barely know it was there. I had one put on my '98 Riviera to hold a bike rack, and you'd never know it was there if I didn't tell you.

Hyser
03-29-2006, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the advice Scott.

NOTACARLO
03-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Sorry Hyser,

I did not get the impression from your original post that you were driving the car to an event.....well, for the car.

All I could picture in my head was a box trailer full of stuff to support someone else.

Keller
03-30-2006, 07:23 PM
http://hotrod.com/dragweek/113_drag_week_2006_information/

I'm assuming that's the deal, anyway. A TR ought to be perfect for the 12.0 and 11.0 classes.