PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner engine bay worth the trouble?

Rice Cooker
04-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Sorry if I sound like a moron here, but this is not only my first turbo Buick, it's my first car with an ECM, fuel injectors, etc. as well. I've already got enough problems with my gauge cluster and that Powermaster POS, I don't need anything else.

ANYWAY, in order to make it easier to accomodate some modifications I'm planning in the near future, as well as in the interest of "uncluttering" the engine bay, I'd like to remove some things from the engine bay, as long as they're not going to wreak havoc with the ECM, etc. To remove my cruise control (I don't think it works anyway): is it just basically removing the actual mechanical components, or is there some sensor I should worry about? Same deal with the emissions equipment, or at least the canister. While this isn't a dedicated track car, it's nowhere near original, and I don't have to worry about passing an emissions test in my state. I plan on keeping everything anyway, just in case, but for the time being, any advice? Thanks.

PaCemkr86
04-02-2006, 01:41 AM
http://www.ccstreetscene.com/multimedia/phil/new2.jpg

i dont have any problems and i have removed all the of the above you mentioned

Survivor87
04-02-2006, 09:58 AM
If you remove the vapor cannister and plug the hoses you might want to consider getting a vented style gas cap. The cannister is the only "vent" for these systems. Just a thought.....

Keller
04-02-2006, 01:54 PM
I say figure out why the cruise isn't working, (like broken wires in the turn signal / cruise switch stalk or a misadjustede switch against the brake pedal arm) but that's just me...

Special K
03-15-2007, 01:04 AM
...consider getting a vented style gas cap.

Does anyone know where to buy one? Any trouble running the car with the canister removed and no vented gas cap? If so, what could happen?

chrisgarrett
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know where to buy one? Any trouble running the car with the canister removed and no vented gas cap? If so, what could happen?

Vapors and perhaps even a little gas will come out of the tube on the frame where the canister attaches.

turbofish38
03-16-2007, 03:50 PM

I think the general concensus of those running with out the canister is to run the vent off the metal tube at the engine compartment. You could use the plastic vent, like the one used on the rear axle, hooked to the end of some vacuum hose. You could also do what GM does for the canister vent on some cars and trucks.For example my Roadmaster. Run a longer section of hose and make sure the open end is out of the engine compartment. You could run it inside the fender for example.