PDA

View Full Version : NEED 1995 Indy 3800 engine

TURBO-ON!
04-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi
I want to install a turbo V6 into a Lola Champ car. Several Champs had a Buick in the 90's but all I have is a few photos.

Can you tell me were to get an old 3800 engine or the parts to build one ???
Is there an active website for Buick Motorsports???
Thanks

Dave
Atlanta

airborne_rex
05-07-2006, 04:35 PM
look in a junk yard. the 3800 series engine came on everything from buick regals to oldsmobile 88's.

Keller
05-08-2006, 02:15 AM
First, the production 3.8 and 3800 motors are a far cry from a Indy engine. The Indy engines were Stage II block motors. See our pictures guides for illustrations. Plus, there is a cubic horsepower and cubic dollar difference.

The Buick Motorsports program went defunct years ago I know that GM Performance Parts still sold new Stage II blocks, heads and such in their catalog a few years ago. Not sure about now. They do have a website. There are always used pieces.

In addition, TA Performance now offers an aftermarket aluminum Stage II block.

The old addage always holds: speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

kenmosher
05-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Also, weren't the Indy motors destroked and decked to 3.0 Liters? Or was it 3.3 Liters?

As Scott stated, they used the Stage II stuff (as did a lot of Busch cars, and Indy Lite series).

Keller
05-08-2006, 02:39 PM
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/intakes/indyintake.html

Looks like 3300 to me.

PaCemkr86
05-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Plus, there is a cubic horsepower and cubic dollar difference
that part made me laugh :doh:

turbofish38
06-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Sorry for dragging this thread out of the basement.

Try George Montgomery. Do a yellow pages search for his shop. I heard he retired years ago but he may still be around. Scroll down to the engine specs in this link for details. http://www.silcom.com/~imago/garcia/equipment.html

The Indy lights were still using NA stage2 Buicks. There are probally some specialty shops that were in existance 10 years ago that might have some of those spares laying around. Also do a search. Several guys running those and your car in Vintage events. Somebody is bound to have a motor for you.

Neat car BTW.