PDA

View Full Version : Missing/Popping, WOT, cooling fan, electrical and other clues...

70-71-72
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
I have done some troubleshooting concerning a "miss/popping" problem I've had since day one. I've made it better through my tuning, replacing and general maintenance. What I've come to the conclusion of is this:

The TurboLink v2.13 that I have has told me that my miss (at WOT only, as far as I originally knew) is caused by the ECM cutting off the engine. When I have my problem all of the readings jump around. This includes the MPH which can go from 30mph to 170mph and back. I thought that this only happened at WOT but now I have more clues.

Now what I've figured out is that when the electric cooling fan comes on, once the engine reaches 200f degrees, I get the same symptoms. Once the fan shuts off again all of the turbolink readings go back to normal. If I unplug the fan it does the missing/popping symptoms ALL of the time. I would have figured the opposite.

I have replaced/used a different ECM, O2 sensor, spark plugs, coil, fuel filter, hp fuel pump, fan delay relay (the old one caused the battery to drain), stock chip, checked fuel pressure and cleaned many an electrical connection.

The interior of the car has rust on the chair rails and some one steering wheel from some unknown source. There is some rust on the passenger door and in the engine compartment but none on the body. This makes me figure I've got some bad connections somewhere. I have tried to clean the ECM connectors. I don't know all of the places to check for grounds but the system seems to work well in general. The alternator has good output (14.#) but under no load and at idle. Not sure how to test that without buying gauges.

The car is almost completely stock except for the r134a Air Conditioning and the new fuel pump and hotwire, which hasn't seemed to make any performance differences yet.

So you can see, I have lots of info but maybe not the right piece yet. From the clues I have so far I can't figure out what I need to check next besides the grounds, which I don't know where they all are to begin with. Does any of this make sense to anyone?

interceptor2
05-13-2006, 06:32 PM
GRAB A WIRE DIAG Check All Your Grounds? Voltage Drop Should Be No More Than 100mv A Connection.<BATT - TO BLOCK/ ECM TO ITS GROUND> Also If You Have Ac Voltage Leaking From Your Alt. <ie Bad Diodes> That Might Skew The Computer ,the Only Ac Reading Should Come From Magnetic To A Dc Convertor < Vech Speed Sensor> You Could Unhook The Alt??? Or Check For A Voltage Spike At The Ecm Or Run A Good Redundant Ground Thru A Remote Starter Switch And When It Acts Up Push The Button And See What Happens
As You Already Know Bad Readings In Bad Commands Out Hth

70-71-72
05-18-2006, 11:22 PM
From discussions on another board I found my problem.

The main source of my problems was black goo built up in all 3 of my fan relays (Hi, Lo, Delay). I cleaned them and it corrected all of the errors I was seeing on my Turbolink.

It also runs much better! :yesnod: :yesnod: I was almost tempted to get out and examine the heavy black marks that seem to keep coming off of my tires :winkgrin: Inexplicable!

I will go through and check all of my connections just to be sure but I'm glad I finally have a real Turbo Regal. Thanks for the responses.