PDA

View Full Version : unusual tuning/? or electrical problem

g878don
05-19-2006, 02:16 AM
hello,
i purchased an 87 t last fall which has several mods. te61 charger,houston downpipe, hooker2.5" ex,hooker headers,009 injectors,champion iron heads, champion lower intake,front mount intercooler,art carr3000 stall conv,art carr trans,has aftermarket fuel pump w/hot wire kit, anyhow you get the idea it has had a lot of money spent on it.
this car was a rocket when i bought it and still is. it developed a weird problem lately. it started by momentarily cutting off when you were just driving down the road. when it did this it would show the check eng light just for a second then it would go off. the car acted like it was restarting whenever it did this because the fast idle would come up just like a restart.
i figured ecm problems and started by pulling the ecm and inspecting just by accident i found that by just touching one corner of the chip it would start acting strange and the check eng light would start dimly blinking very fast. if you pulled back on the chip it would quit. so i figured i had the problem and bought another ecm to fix it.
now that stopped the problem of cutting off and seemed to be fine. but now the car is very rich all the time. o2 reading on scanmaster stays 850-900 at full throttle where it was always about 770-780 before. i replaced the o2 because i had one go wacky after i bought it, no change. all of the readings on the scanmaster seem to be normal except for blms which are 90-95 at idle or cruise, and the maf might be about 5-7 at idle and o2 is always rich.
it runs ok but you can tell it gets lazy in 3rd gear from being so rich.
does anyone have any ideas what could have happened here ? i am fairly new to these cars but have been in performance cars and racing for about 30 yrs. it has me scratching my head regularly.
thanks for any info,
dg

interceptor2
05-20-2006, 06:20 PM
BEING THAT THE COMP. IS PULLING MAD FUEL ACCORDING TO THE BLK LEARN WHAT IS YOUR FUEL PRESS AND THE INJ PULSE WIDTH DID YOU GET A OEM COMP OR A BLACK BOX AND IS YOUR PROM OK LIKE THE PINS ARNT BENT IF THIS IS AN EVERSINCE I WUOLD JUST REVERSE ENGINEER IT BUT IF YOUR BOARD BROKE IN THE ORG BOX YOU WOULD THINK IT THE REPLACEMENT IS SUSPECT WHAT IS THE BLK LRN/ INGRTATOR AT IDLE OR IN CLOSED LOOP AT 1200 RPM??? :lite:

g878don
05-21-2006, 05:29 PM
thanks for the reply.
the fuel pressure is 37lbs w/vacuum and about 40-41 w/o vacuum.
the blm is averaging about 95-99 and the int is 128 in closed loop.
pulse width is about 2.1-2.4.
i changed 02 again today and the number w/0 was about 830. first run was about 900 then it went to the 830 number next run. i dropped fuel about 3lbs and it did not affect the numbers.
car still has the rich up and down idle. the maf at idle is 7 at the moment and tps is .48 . my scanmaster does not display iac number it is v2.1 is this normal? i tried lowering tps but it did not seem to affect it .
the ecm i bought was a good? used oem.
what do you think?
thanks dg
btw i forgot to mention no prom pins bent.what is this chip? the number is either xei 4320 or 13x 4320 i cannot tell which way the numbers go?

interceptor2
05-24-2006, 08:39 PM
do me a favor chk f/p and turn off , does it drop right off?? if so pinch off return line does it hold ?? and vice versa. this would tell you if it is a mech. prob
ie f/p chk valve or an leaking injector <staticly> make an small vac leak and watch the 02 drop and see if your fuel command follows <adds fuel> i am usually looking at the prom #'s thru other scanners so i dont know the ans to those #s
by the way how is the other weird stuff did it staighten out also if you place the comp in feild service does it go back to norm?? if you have an dvom see if you have 450 mv coming from the comp. <uplugged> key on along time ago i saw and freaky issue and the cam sens wuz out of syc but that is just a tought since youve got other iss you dont happen to have acces to an lab scope or an five gas emm analy do you? also what is you ect sen reading . i like to see 10-20 on iac counts and i run tps as high as ican hum :shiny:

JHensberry
06-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Scanmaster does display IAC counts.
What is the status of your MAF?
What are the gps at idle/WOT.
When the SES light blinks when the car is acting up, does it throw any codes?