PDA

View Full Version : Control arm choices...

87geeinn
05-23-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm looking for a proper setup for my combo and of course would like to save a couple of bucks if possible. With that said, my car does not see any track time and is strictly a weekend warrior. I want a very tight street fighter and am not concerned with vibration/ride quality all that much. Are the boxed type much more superior/rigid than tubulars? Will tubulars be adequate on my combo? I do plan on adding a 1" sway bar, Bilsteins and stickier tires in the future. Should I go with the cheaper tubular CAs from UMI such as this set:

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc~ic~790301516B~eq~~Tp~.htm

or should I go with the boxed type from H&R:

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc~ic~3160902~eq~~Tp~.htm

PaCemkr86
05-24-2006, 08:12 AM
im running those black UMI tubular ones.. i like em

87geeinn
05-24-2006, 06:33 PM
:werd: Now on to my sway bar choices: Full Throttle has the 1 3/8" size sway bar. Doesn't that seem a little overkill for my goals and might actually hurt mild street launches as opposed to say a 1" thick bar? From what I've researched, the stiffness is dramatically increased with even a small increase in thickness. True?

buddiiee
05-29-2006, 11:13 PM
if its for the rear? no. i have a 1 & 3/8ths and its fine. but I threw the same diameter in the front, and its too big. it doesnt fit on my car right. it hits no matter how i adjust it. plus, i hear that it stiffens up the front, to the point where it doesnt allow the rear to plant as effectively. thats why, i guess a lot of racers take their fronts off...

70sgeek
05-31-2006, 10:12 PM
UMI tubular arms are a good choice - got 'em on my '72 skylark ragtop and they're very well made for a price you can't beat.

PaCemkr86
05-31-2006, 10:17 PM
you cant beat the price and they are heavy duty !!

Duts87ss
06-02-2006, 05:48 PM
For a strictly street car, go with a set of CurrieTrac lowers (can buy these at SCandC.com) and a set of Edelbrock uppers (with rubber bushings in the rearend side instead of the poly that comes with them). I suggest the Eddy uppers because they're about $100 cheaper than the Currie's.

I'd also suggest the use of 1" bar over the 1-3/8". You can get 1" bars from OPGI for less the $100.

Zoliaster
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM
I went with the currie upper and lowers, VERY nice pieces. I also opted the 1" bar and put rubber in one side of the uppers.

No real world reports yet, they haven't been installed yet.