PDA

View Full Version : Hookers

Tdog
06-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Does anyone run Hooker headers? I found a used set for $200. Prety good shape. Need a new O2 bung welded in. Are they worth messing with?
Thanks!

Keller
06-06-2006, 09:53 PM
They only work well on 'fast' cars. 'Fast' in Buick terms means well into the 10s. Because of their down-then-up design, they are long. That is not good for a small turbo, low revving engine.

Could be worth picking up for resale, though...

faster
06-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I looked at a GN a friend was thinking of buying that had a set of those big hookers. The seller was new to the turbo scene and thought his car was fast because he spent a bundle on bolt on parts. The car was not any faster than a good running stock high 12's car but turbo lag was atrocious (2-3 seconds) untill the motor hit 3500/4000 RPM. I took him for a ride in my 11.20's TR that runs 121/122 MPH so it could go 10's if I launched it car and then showed him the stock headers I run on a 62 turbo. I told him he did not generate enough exhaust velocity with those big headers to spin that big turbo he put on the basically stock car. Stay on the conservative side when buying headers for a turbo car or any car for that matter or you will just slow it down. I had the stock intake, heads and exhaust manifolds carefully worked by someone who knew what they were doing. I run a PTE front mount intercooler with 3" intake piping from the air cleaner to the intake with a 3" houston downpipe and have a streetable TR that is capable of high 10's/low 11's at 120+ MPH on race gas and has gone 12.00's at 115 MPH on pump gas and SMC alky spray. My 60' times are a lazy 1.86/2.00 and I get 16 MPG city and 25 mpg highway with 55# injectors (I do need bigger injectors though). The moral of the story is choose your bolt ons carefully and don't waste money.

Mikey

turbopowered68
06-08-2006, 08:41 PM
i have a set and used them for about 2 years with no problems.
the car felt the same as with the stock headers just my 02.

i am going for mid 11ns on a new build and the first set of headers is going to be the hookers with the hooker down pipe.

Ruinnations
06-09-2006, 06:52 PM
I had a set in the early 1990s. The car was mostly stock and the turbo lag was VERY long. The also have been said to cook transmissions due to how the crossover pipe is run. They caused a heat soak problem on my car. Went back to stock and everything went back to the way it should be. They also will not work with the stock downpipe.