PDA

View Full Version : PowerMaster Bleeding, doesn't

Alan Drake
06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Just had powermaster rebuilt, put on car, filled reservoir, pump ran never shut off - so turned off.
NO fluid made it to othe side.
Repair Manual says looen the tube and nut and gravity bleed, ie until fluid runs out. FLUID never runs out of bottom fitting of body, fitting just below accumulator.
Any ideas??

Keller
06-12-2006, 09:01 PM
NO fluid made it to othe side.
Can you exlain how you filled it?

Both sides do need fluid. It is not pumped from one side (i.e. left and right side) to the other. One side is used for the actual braking, the other for the hydraulic resivoir which provides the 'boost' pressure to aid your foot pressure. They work independently.

Alan Drake
06-13-2006, 10:15 AM
AAAH,

Res. has three areas that one can fill. Two are located towards the outside, one forward & one back, these will drain fluid at the fittings directly below when loosen These I filled.

The other is single, inward and larger - THIS I did not fill, jsut some minor fluid on bottow covering holes "A & B" It appears (form your posting) the larger one also needs to be filled???

Also I can not find any markings on inside or outside for a fill mark, so about how much fluid do I need in each??

James West
06-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Alan,

I told Scott or Ken could help you out, you definately came to the right place for help!

Regards,

James West

AAAH,

Res. has three areas that one can fill. Two are located towards the outside, one forward & one back, these will drain fluid at the fittings directly below when loosen These I filled.

The other is single, inward and larger - THIS I did not fill, jsut some minor fluid on bottow covering holes "A & B" It appears (form your posting) the larger one also needs to be filled???

Also I can not find any markings on inside or outside for a fill mark, so about how much fluid do I need in each??

Keller
06-13-2006, 12:29 PM
The 'inside' section is the resivoir used to pressurize the 'assist' portion of the unit. Because it is dry, the pump motor is running constantly while it sucks helplessly for fluid. Hopefully you didn't let it run too long like this. You may have already damaged the internal seals and the pump motor.

The driver's side of the resivoir has indications of the proper fill levels. These should be observed with the car off and when the pedal has been pressed at least 10 times to relieve the fluid stored in the assist portion of the system. The need to first press the pedal 10 times should be clearly printed on the top of the resivoir. Of course, you currently don't have that problem since it has not been filled properly.

Alan Drake
06-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Getting much better.
Filled large inside reservoir. Turn power on and it now pumps it down by just over an inch in 20 sec. (20 sec is a long time)

Yes the cover says 10X.

Next problem; the large inside fluid as tiny bubbles (lots) solution is???

If I need to bleed the ft and rear brakes are the two reserviors on the outside connected to brakes directly or will the other hardware (prop valve) keep me from a gravity bleed?
Thanks for your help.

James West
06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Alan,

As I recall, you need to use a piece of wood to wedge or press the prop valve pin "IN" so that the front and rear brakes can be properly bled. Same drill as any other car starting with the right rear and finishing at the left front. You will need a helper to pump the brakes (power/ignition off).

Scott, please tell me if I'm incorrect on this. I did this the last time after I changed the PM motor and the brakes work great!

James West

Getting much better.
Filled large inside reservoir. Turn power on and it now pumps it down by just over an inch in 20 sec. (20 sec is a long time)

Yes the cover says 10X.

Next problem; the large inside fluid as tiny bubbles (lots) solution is???

If I need to bleed the ft and rear brakes are the two reserviors on the outside connected to brakes directly or will the other hardware (prop valve) keep me from a gravity bleed?
Thanks for your help.

Keller
06-13-2006, 03:48 PM
(20 sec is a long time)
But it won't have to do that again.

inside fluid as tiny bubbles (lots) solution is???
Should dissipate with time. Solution is: stop %&#*ing with your brakes. :slap: Plus, a thorough bleeding of the system usually helps a bit. Too much cycling of the pump, etc. tends to stir things up a bit.

If I need to bleed the ft and rear brakes are the two reserviors on the outside connected to brakes directly?
Yes. DO NOT TOP OFF THE INNER CHAMBER. And only add fluid to the outer ones after doing the turn off ignition / pump pedal 10-15x routine. Otherwise, you may overfill the system. When the car is/has been running is is not uncommon for the inner chamber to be down a bit lower than the outer chambers. This is normal.

Alan Drake
06-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys,

Now that its stopped raining around here and car has brakes again I think its drive time.