PDA

View Full Version : twilight sentinel

jeremy adams
10-14-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm a bit unsure of how twilight sentinel works. A detailed explanation would be highly appreciated, if possible. I have to cover the light sensor on the dash for the lights to come on when it isnt fully dark outside. I've set the delay all the way down to the lowest setting too. Can i turn my lights on when its a sunny day without covering the light sensor. I've tried and it doesnt work. THXs

Keller
10-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Simple...When its dark outside, it'll turn on your headlights. It doesn't work on sunny days because...its NOT DARK! :p I suppose the sensor is still getting light and isn't fully blocked when you are covering it.

The adjustment really controls how long the lights stay on after you shut the car off in the dark. I guess that's to help you get from your car to the door of your home in the dark and not get lost or something. ;) On my car, setting it low turns them off very quickly, and setting it high makes them stay on for a minute or two.

It may control the sensitivity as well, but I don't get this car out in the dark that much anymore...

jeremy adams
10-17-2004, 11:31 PM
thanks for the info. I'm still having some trouble. For example, i drove my TR today to my appartment at night time. I stopped to refuel and after i did i turned my light switch on and i had to wait about 1 minute or so until they came on. It was already fully dark outside already. I know i was under the gas station lighting for a couple of seconds when i was pulling out, but i was soon in the dark and waiting for my lights to come on. I shouldn't have to wait for my lights to come on like that, right? Is there a sure test i can perform to see if my sensor or the twilight system is working right? :banghead:

WH1Regal
10-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Hello,

It sounds like you have another issue here. The headlight switch should turn the headlights on regardless of what the light is outside, so if you're not turning your lights on with the switch, something is wrong. In the bright of day, if you turn on the headlights with the switch, do they ever turn on? It could be a fault with the switch and you're only using the automatic feature of twilight sentinel to turn on the lights, you just didn't know it...
As Scott said, the "adjustment" on the twilight sentinel is for ON time after the car ignition is off and the sensor thinks its dark enough for headlights. If the sensor didn't turn the lights on, then they go off when you turn off the switch. The bad side of that system...in a dark garage there is NO way of not having your lights on. <heh heh, double negative>

edit: I've never been able to trick the sensor that it's dark out either on a sunny day.

Ben
86 Buick Regal T-Type WH1
Owner/Operator Designer Series WH1 Registry

Keller
10-18-2004, 10:43 PM
The bad side of that system...in a dark garage there is NO way of not having your lights on.

Yes there is...There is an "off" detent on the adjustment wheel. When I am at the track on a night program, I often do not want my lights on. Like in the staging lanes. Or even going down the track, since they have such a good lighting system, and all that is required is "tail lights". And I don't want the current draw (and alternator drag) of the headlights. So I just crank the system off and put the 'parking lights' on.

The question now is, does the original asking party have the ability to turn on and off his lights at will while the twilight system is disabled?

WH1Regal
10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Yes there is...There is an "off" detent on the adjustment wheel.

So that's what that's for...that's totally cool, I did not know that. Of course I ran out to check it... :)

now...back to the show...

Ben

jeremy adams
10-21-2004, 06:22 PM
I took my light switch out and i had like 160 ohms between the headlight terminals. I feel stupid for not thinking of checking it. I guess i was too caught up in the twilight sentinel thing to think of it myself since i didnt fully understand what it did. I also guess that's what this is for too( to ask ?s and get answers). Either way problem is solved so thanks again. I started college (central piedmont community college in NC) in august and im going for an 2yr degree in automotive technology so im learning still. I just might be back with more stupid ?'s with logical answers so look for my threads!

GNXDad
10-22-2004, 08:09 PM
but I don't get this car out in the dark that much anymore...

Wise choice. :cheers:

Keller
10-23-2004, 02:41 AM
Not that it matters.

I had my '97 supercharged Riv (29k miles - fair weather driver) out in broad daylight one afternoon last spring and got rear ended hard as I sat completely still waiting to turn into my neigborhood by a woman going ~45 who was obviously looking anywhere but forward. Guess two-hundred-plus inches of Buick just wasn't enough easily to see...

But I digress...

(To the original poster...) Sounds like you've found the root of the problem.