PDA

View Full Version : EGR removal

garrett
06-16-2006, 07:06 PM
I have an 84 t-type and I have recently went with a 87 computer and a Turbotweak chip. The chip has a EGR disable function. I wanted to remove the EGR altogether to make room for intercooler piping that I am fabricating. I have capped the vacuum line going to the EGR and physically removed the EGR and installed a block off plate. Now I am left with the aluminum flexible tube with snakes around to the back of the intake manifold. I not sure what to do with this part. If I remove the tube, what can I plug the intake with? I have looked in Home Depot/Lowes/auto parts stores, for some type of metal thread plug. Nobody has anything that big with those threads. I can plug the end of the tube with liquid metal and move it out of the way. I'm not sure this will stay in place. I don't know what kind of pressure or suction the pipe has while the engine is working. Does anyone have any ideas?

1986GN
06-17-2006, 01:24 AM
well you can saw off tubing right at the end and braze it shut! how would you rate that chip as iam also working on a 84 t type that i will be up grasing to 87 ecm....? thanks for any input

garrett
06-17-2006, 02:49 AM
I think the chip works well. I have noticed no problems with it. I used the wiring from Casper's electronics and it came with good directions. The 87 ECM,chip,aluminum radiator, 87 electric fan,all works together like it was originally designed that way. I have not tuned the car to the limits yet, because I made the decision as soon as I got the mechanical clutch fan out of the way, that I would put a 87 stock intercooler in the car. Once I get the intercooler piping in there, then I will fine tune it. I am retaining the Hot Air intake, turbo position, and accessory positions. I doing what alot of people do with front mounted intercoolers, just with a stock 87 intercooler. I know it's not the most efficient design, but I already had the part and I think it will be relatively easy. I think that the addition of the intercooler will allow a better functioning of my alcohol system and the performance of the car will not fall off so much when the turbo and engine are at full operating temperatures. The major drawback that I see with the non intercooled cars vs. the 86/87 TR's, is that the performance level drops off dramatically when the turbo gets really hot. I'm looking to the intercooler to help maintain a more steady intake air temp . I will post more results when the project is completed. Eric Marshall from Turbotweak seemed like a nice guy. He was helpful, and he really seemed to care about the specifics of what I had in the car. I don't think I will ever run a mass produced chip again. Why would anybody when ther are people like Eric who will do this for you.

brad_padgett
06-18-2006, 06:53 PM
The info Garret is giving is very good. I have acomplished the same thing except for the intercooler. I do not need one because I do not drag race. I have my air intake out of the engine compartment which helps but it is not a replacement for an intercooler. I am finishing up my tune and I will be a low 13 street car. Good luck. brad

pfredricks
06-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't know what kind of pressure or suction the pipe has while the engine is working.
The pipe will follow intake manifold conditions, either boost (1-25 PSI) :brows: or vacuum (1-20 inHg). :doh: