PDA

View Full Version : Razor Kit on a hot air car

91rangerturbo
06-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I am seriously considering this for my next modification. It sounds to good to be true with all the feed back from julio.

My biggest question is where is the best place you could put the nozzle on a hot air car?

I really don't want to pull the turbo off to install it.

garrett
06-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I'll give you the advice you are asking for, since I been down this road a couple of times. First, you should get a newer progressive system. This will work better since it won't spray so much alcohol upon initial activation. This will prevent the kit from drowning your engine in alcohol. Second, you will need a selonoid valve with the kit which will only allow the alcohol to flow when the boost calls for it. Otherwise the suction from the turbo will drain the alcohol from the bottle when you are sitting there idling. The car will run like crap too. Third, ask for the smallest nozzle available from the maker of the kit. The standard size nozzle for a 86-87 intake is too big for a hotair car. The hotair intake can't take that much alcohol, you will drown the engine. Fourth, you will need to insulate the line going from the bottle to the nozzle really well. Alcohol has a much lower boiling point than water, and will boil easy. If you don't do this, you will find that your kit will work when the engine is cold, but not when it is warmed up. I have been informed that it is possible to add some water to the alcohol mix, and this will raise the boiling point. A 9 to 1 ratio of alcohol to water is what you will need if you are going to attempt this. I personally haven't tried this. As far as where to mount the nozzle, you don't have alot of options in a hotair setup. I mounted mine in the adaptor between the turbo and the intake. You will need to remove the turbo to do this, though. I have heard some people have installed nozzles directly into the intake, but I'm not sure where exactly. I do have an interesting idea for you to try as a possibility. If you want to remove your EGR setup, as I have, you could probably buy some adaptor fittings and install the alcohol nozzle where the EGR metal pipe treads into the intake, in the back, below the turbo. You will need to have your computer chip modified for EGR disable, or you will get a engine code. It won't really affect the way the car runs, but you will get the check engine light. Anyway, I hope this has helped you out, good luck.

91rangerturbo
06-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Garrett thanks for all the info. I planned on removing the egr anyways. I mean i could always just move it into the intake/turbo adapter if it wasn't working very good there. I also was seriously considering the razor kit because i have heard nothing but great things about julio and i have talked to him myself. (seems like a great guy)

I haven't had a chip burned yet for my car. But called a talked with someone about burning a chip for it. So i am sure that wouldn't be a problem for him to get that taken car of.

Thanks.
Josh