PDA

View Full Version : Who makes this chip?

Patriot_tech
07-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi everybody,

I am working my way through this car and learning alot along the way. I need your help though. I looked at the chip in the car and would like to find out who made it, if its any good, and potentially if it should be upgraded.

The chip has a red label. In the center, it says 'R93' which I think is for 93 octane. Looking at the chip vertically, there is a '9' in the upper right corner a '6' in the lower left corner and a '0' in the lower right corner. The only other thing is on the finger tab there is a 'RN' logo stamped in the plastic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

kenmosher
07-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Sounds like an older Red Armstrong chip (Quad Air) for 93 octane (street) gas. Decent chip and if you contact them, they can tell you more about it.

Roadrunner88
07-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Ken,

Who do You think makes the best 'street' chip for an unmodified stock car...

The only consideration... Absolute lowest likelihood of engine damage (if WOT is ever 'actuated')... :innocent:

Patriot_tech
07-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Ken,
From what I've gathered they are here in NE Ohio as well. I'll contact them next week to find out more about it. Thanks for the info.
Rino

kenmosher
07-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Say "Hi" :bye: to Red and Jane from me!

kenmosher
07-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Ken,

Who do You think makes the best 'street' chip for an unmodified stock car...

The only consideration... Absolute lowest likelihood of engine damage (if WOT is ever 'actuated')... :innocent:

Stock is the safest bet then ... all aftermarket chips will up your boost, tweak the fuel and timing to match. All of that raises the danger (however, little) of extra engine wear/tear, especially if you get a bad batch of gas and don't have some sort of monitoring system (at a bare minimum, a decent boost gauge and a knock gauge).

Roadrunner88
07-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Stock is the safest bet then ... all aftermarket chips will up your boost, tweak the fuel and timing to match. All of that raises the danger (however, little) of extra engine wear/tear, especially if you get a bad batch of gas and don't have some sort of monitoring system (at a bare minimum, a decent boost gauge and a knock gauge).

I thought maybe someone made a "street" chips that simply used 'modified' factory chip settings and made some adjustments for optimum use of today's fuel types, etc...

Little thread hijack here... sorry...