PDA

View Full Version : Octane boost

fastblackcar
07-20-2006, 09:07 PM
this is my first time to the track, i want good octane, i seen the home brew here on this site , do i mix 7 gal of 93 sunoco to 3 gal of xylene to get 10 gal of 99.5 octane fuel, anything else, trans fluid for lube ??

kenmosher
07-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Some good links (and the most important thing ... HAVE FUN!)

Fuel mixing guidelines:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/Octanemix.html

(Personally, I'd just buy some racing gas at the track ... unleaded if you can find it ... Motor octane in the 109-112 range (not RON).

Race fuel info:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/racefuel.html

Drag racing your TR ...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/sunday.html

fastblackcar
07-21-2006, 10:10 AM
ken
i can buy airplane fuel close to home, before going to the track, they said its 100 oct, thoughts on this, my first time i would like to be prepared before i go , the track is in canada about 1 hour away, if this fuel is different i will wait and buy it there, i just thought i could empty the tank at home and put some of this in because its local
thanx again
tom

kenmosher
07-21-2006, 12:17 PM
It's different, but can be used successfully. Even "Low Lead" aviation fuel has a LOT of lead in it, so be aware.:yesnod:

Also, it's usually a bit different mix than race gas (made for higher altitude and colder temperatures), but many people use it successfully for racing a mild combination.

If you can get racing gas at the track or a speed shop (look for VP Unleaded or Sunoco GT unleaded high octane, if you can find it), that'd probably be the best bet. You aren't tuning to the edge, but looking for a good baseline and a little "safety cushion" ... once you have some experience and data, you can start tuning to the razor edge and may choose to change fuel at that point.

Again, the most important thing ... HAVE FUN and learn something about the car! :woot:

fastblackcar
07-21-2006, 03:41 PM
ken
thanx agian, airport told me today they cant sell to the public anymore so, now getting fuel at the track, thanx for the" have fun", will send results thank you
tom

fastblackcar
07-22-2006, 05:06 PM
ken
well my first time at the track and here are the results off the slip
reaction .540
I1 2.264
I2
I3 8.566
I4
e.t 13.025
mph 113.527
can you tell me something about this i have 5 slips all are similar in et and mph113.407@ 113.789
109.505@13.35
113.697@13.519
112.359@ 13.467
the problem is take off, it spins uncontrllably at take off i have to let up and let it get rolling before i can hammer it again, i need some better tires i see, another t/r owner advised me to get it rolling with less boost then ease into it, im sure this will come with some experience, i hope! its hard to resist the urge to hammer it! i took my two sons with me to the track they had an awesome time :tup: the guy at the track did help me thru the lights with my first run, i told you i was nervous of this but he was great! great family times with my sons, i followed the drag techn. on the site with tire psi ,air bag and such, my computer battery died before we reached the track so the turbo link was not on, ses light did come on on the 3rd run turned the car off and restart and it didnt return, what a great time!!! thanx for your help, i cant find the fuel pump wire to drain the race gas where behind the alt is it?at $5 gal i will save for next time!!
thanx again
Tom

kenmosher
07-24-2006, 10:37 AM
What modifications does the car have?

That's good MPH (11 second territory with better traction). Sounds like the car was consistent and if you can get some slicks, it'll be solidly in the 11s. Next time your really need some scantool data? How much boost?

With scan data we can see:
Retard
O2s
MAF
Shift points
ESC
etc.

... and then we can see how close you are to the edge.

You have probably at LEAST 5 tenths on the table at the 60 ft (which is about 8 tenths in the 1/4), so tires will be key (and being able to leave with some boost will really help the 1/8 mile).

The wire is behind the alternator ... sounds like you have a lot of fun!

fastblackcar
07-25-2006, 08:10 AM
ken
1986 GN W/ 73k
home Ported Polished Heads,matched gaskets, intake,63mm Mease throttle Body & upper plenum, W/ Rjc Plate,160 therm, 3255 PTE turbo,42.5 # Inj.,mease sheet metal I/C Duct,big neck Dut. I/C, K.B Cold Air,T.H Downpipe,Poston Cam/Lifter set, D.R Chain,100# springs,Turbo Link, 160 amp,Am Alt,TPI Enhancer,Power Pulleys,GTA's W/G-force,Red Arm chip,upper and lower SSM Bars,Hot Wire,HV oil pump,Guages,West Coast conv 2800 stall, home made deep trans pan w/ h.m pick up, h.m cooler, i just read that the kb ram air is restrictive so i removed the canister part and left the element open and left the duct in place for cool air into the engine compartment, may try the paper clip next time as shown in this site
I got 110 oct gas at the track ran 25#, knock guage never flickered, tail pipes were black with soot i noticed before unloading it off trailer.

ken tell me about the #'s on the slip I1,I2,reaction time ??

Fun yes it was great, my 2 sons said, get some better tires dad we want to see how much it will make

Keller
07-25-2006, 08:29 AM
With that array of parts, you can likely make much more power. You need a scan tool badly. But that is a topic for another area of this forum...

fastblackcar
07-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Sorry for getting off the posted section selection....Tom

kenmosher
07-25-2006, 11:42 AM
reaction .540
I1 2.264
I2
I3 8.566
I4
e.t 13.025
mph 113.527Reaction time - assuming a .500 Bracket Tree, it took you (and the car) 0.040 seconds to start moving (pretty good, BTW!)

I1 = 60 ft. time ... a good hooking TR with your mods should be able to turn 1.6x (and even 1.5x) times here. Since the first 60 foot is critical, it basically means that you pick up 1.5 tenths for every tenth you shave off here.

I2 = 330 ft time

I3 = 660 ft (1/8 mile time) ... that's half way and can tell you a lot if you have the corresponding MPH (I would expect something in the 91-93 MPH range for your trap speed).

I4 = 990 ft time (or some tracks 1000 ft time).

I5 = 1/4 mile time and MPH (trap speed)

It's useful to calculate time for each interval (i.e. I2-I1, I3-I2, I4-I3, and I5-I4). When comparing multiple runs, you can see how the car performed in each segment of the run and make adjustments accordingly. It's also useful to see the trap MPH vs. the 1/8 MPH to see how much speed you pick up in the top end of the trap (indicative of overall HP and tune). A healthy TR usually picks up somewhere around 23-26 MPH at the top end.

fastblackcar
07-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Ken
Thanx for your help, this explanation helps me with the terminalogy i was missing, i heard about 60' times but, I didnt know how to read the slip to di sect it, i now see my 60' times are a reflection of my tires ,bf gooodrich g force kdw, although they are new and seem to be an awesome handling tire, but not for the track.
Thanx again for your help,
Tom... Plattsburgh, NY