PDA

View Full Version : GN steering wheel question

SS_Sean
07-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Were the 86 and 87 steering wheels the same? Were there other years that were the same? I'm in the market for a used wheel and want to know what to look for. Thanks.

Also, what's the deal with my steering wheel button saying 'T-Type' on it? Was this correct for an 86 GN?

Keller
07-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Were the 86 and 87 steering wheels the same?
Yes.

Were there other years that were the same?
Pretty much any year Regal with the 'T-Type', 'T', or 'sport' package, not to mention other Buicks with that package. Just be sure it is a leather wrapped wheel and not a vinyl molded one that looks like a leather one. Does not have to be a turbo car.

Also, what's the deal with my steering wheel button saying 'T-Type' on it? Was this correct for an 86 GN?
No. Your center badge (at least) has been swapped with a pre-87 T-Type.

SS_Sean
07-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. The GN came with the staggered three shield emblem then, right?

SS_Sean
07-25-2006, 09:18 PM
The car is a real GN, but I don't know if this was one of those deals where the factory ran out of horn buttons and threw a T-Type button on there to keep the line moving, or whether one of the many previous owners had put the wrong horn button on. Who knows.

Bought a used steering wheel anyway.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=180008816425&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Keller
07-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. The GN came with the staggered three shield emblem then, right?
Yes.

I highly doubt the line at the Pontiac, Michigan plant would have substituted a T emblem.

turbofish38
07-26-2006, 03:41 PM
All GN's will have the tri-shields in black or charcoal. The replacement gray horn caps came with the "red T" emblem installed on them. We all know how fragile the horn caps are. When you replaced your cracked horn cap you were supposed to swap the emblems over. Most of the time people did not hang onto the broken pieces so the original emblem was tossed in the trash or lost. That is why you have the "T" cap on your car.

Keller
07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I know that the replacements all had the '87 T. However, this person said his said his had "T-Type" on it. Woudn't that make it an earlier example?

turbofish38
07-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Maybe somebody put a used part on? From what I can tell no 1987 ever got the "T-Type" cap. 87 was "T" only. As far as Regals, and you can include Rivieras since they are turbo'd they all got the "T-Type" cap in the 83 to 86 model years. The parts books have some conflicting information listed and that might be were some of the problem is at. Part number 25517763 which is the "T" emblem is list as saying "T-Type". If a person, who didn't know their turbos, were to interpet the footnote listed with the new cap wrong than I could see how it got there. I mean if your a pedestrian do you care that you have a turbo T? To the average layman they're all T-Types. :duh:

Edit: I just read where the thread starter says this is an 86. I assumed 87.

buddiiee
08-10-2006, 07:10 PM
sorry to drag this old thread out but no, that is wrong. SOME gn's from the factory, did indeed come with t horn buttons, when the tri shields ran out that day. Of course it was never authorized, but it did happen. Theres no way to tell, if your specific car was that car on the line or not, so for authenticitys sakes, I'd replace it for the real silver tri shields, since it was never factory authorized, there is no documented way to find out if your car was one of the substituted ones..

deputydawg
09-03-2006, 12:29 PM
I bought an aluminum replacement center cap for my GN and it came with a black trisheild emblem. The plastic ones either warp, crack or both over time. The aluminum one I bought matches the factory color and texture...just a thought..