PDA

View Full Version : 200R4 Trans Issues (maybe valve body?)

BASSr
08-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Ok, I bought this '87 T-Type back in March. The car had a replaced trans/torque converter from Monster Transmissions in January.

I really don't like the way it acts. It upshifts under a normal to mid range throttle OK (kinda slids/hesitates into drive, not OD). What I don't like about it is when you are slowing down, make a turn and proceed slowly, it seems to downshift into low and you have to step on the gas to make the motor catch up to the speed you are traveling rather than it being in 2nd gear.

I thought that maybe changing the fluid and filter might shed some light on the issue. When I had the pan down, I looked at the valve body and it has a "KZ5" marked in gold/yellow and pink paint on the side valve body. It also only has three wires coming into it rather than the stock trans having four. The fourth wire on the stock trans goes to a sensor at the back of the valve body where this one does not.

I checked the documentation that came with the car on the trans and its says:

-High performance reprogramming shift kit
-Recalibrated valvebody w/Update TV valve assembly

It has a whole lot of other things listed, but those are the two that specifically mention the valve body.

I have the original trans and pulled the cover. It does not look bad at all. It has a replacement BRF tag on it.

Can any body shed any light on what might be causing this issue when it downshifts? Is it supposed to act like that? Or is there something wrong?

Can I possibly just swap out the stock valve body from the original trans and get it to act like the factory shifting?

Bruce

Keller
08-13-2006, 01:29 AM
The KZF TH200-4R is from the 442 Olds. Which is a halfway decent one. Halfway. If there are other parts in there from that transmission as well (say, the governor, for instance) they could affect your shifting a great deal. See, the 442's have a 3.73 rear end, and our cars have a 3.42. So they expect things to happen at a different time. Having the right governor is important, too.

There are all the minor things like TV adjustment that you can do yourself without even dropping the pan.

No idea what case that valve body is in. A BRF? And not sure just swapping the correct valve body will do any magic. Everything works together, so having a trans with all the right parts is pretty important.

Having that spare BRF tranny rebuilt by a reputable shop that knows the TR transmissions (not just transmssions) and can integrate the latest tricks to build you a bulletproof trans might be worth considering. Some shops that aren't too reputable will just throw in random parts, steal the prized BRF valve body, or swap in a whole different transmission.