PDA

View Full Version : TV cable help...

383mazda
08-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey guys, here's my problem

I've got a 200r4 in a car and I don't know how to set the TV cable to shift like the one in my t-type. If I set the cable so there's tension right as you press on the gas peddle, by the time you get to half throttle the TV cable is being pulled to it's limit. Now the guy who built my carb swore he'd given me everything I need to hook it up to a 200r4. So should I give the cable more slack to start with? How would the car shift if the cable wasn't hooked up at all? I also read something about the tranny doing something if it thinks the cable has been disconnected... Do I have to re-seat anything after driving it when it wasn't shifting right?? (all it did was shift at about 1,200rpm)
any help is appreciated!

thanks,
Brandon

kenmosher
08-13-2006, 04:43 PM
First, without the cable hooked up at all you'll burn out the clutches VERY quickly (and experience slipping/sloppy shifts and probably at very low RPM).

Secondly, you need pretty much the full travel of the cable ... make sure you give it just a little tension to start and then have it maxed out a full throttle.

383mazda
08-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Ok,

thanks for the warning, I didn't know driving with a lot of slop would do that... I'll keep trying and we'll see what happens!
brandon

383mazda
08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi,

Is there a way to lengthen the throw on the TV cable? I don't have enough movment on the cable to keep up with the bracket. If I pull it tight enough to where it shifts good at 1800rpm, by half throttle the cable won't pull out anymore. So do I need a new bracket or is there a way to get more travel out of the cable?
thanks again!

kenmosher
08-14-2006, 03:26 PM
The travel is (or should be) limited by the Throttle Valve (TV) in the transmission valve body.

You need the bracket to conform to that travel, if you can.

Keller
08-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Are the trans, bracket, and cable on the car (or type of car - i.e. a Cutlass, Monte, or GP if its a 200-4R out of a TR, etc.) they came out of?