PDA

View Full Version : Left Front Brake Grabs

IL KIM
08-24-2006, 09:55 PM
My left front tire grabs and locks up with light brake apply. I raised each front wheel and the spin good. I bled the front brakes and I removed each front caliper and pushed the pison back in and had someone step on the brake to make sure they moved out well. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, except very little pads left (but even left side to right side). The left front brake still grabs. Pretty scary for both parties when the car in front of you slows down and your tires screeches.

Any ideas/suggestions please?

PaCemkr86
08-25-2006, 12:14 AM
are the calipers and hoses orignal?

kenmosher
08-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Could be the the slides for the caliper are binding?

IL KIM
08-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the replies; Hoses and calipers are original (85MY). Ken, as for slides; do you mean where the brake pad metal backing contacts the caliper housing? - I wire brushed the calipers where the pads slide on the housing although everything seemed fine; no evidence of binding. The allen bolts holding the caliper on seemed fine too. Does the caliper slide on these bolts? This car is hasn't been driven much... took it out 2 times this year. ...

Keller
08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Does the caliper slide on these bolts?
Yes. And they are supposed to be lubricated when the caliper is taken off and reinstalled. The bushings and seals in the caliper can be replaced (and lubricated) as well.

I've had old hoses cause this type of issue with one of the rear calipers in one of my Reattas. If they look a little nasty, replace them and bleed the system. They are the same as a regular Regal, and commonly available at the chain parts stores.

IL KIM
08-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Keller (& Ken and Phil); Thanks for the advise. I will lube the slides/bolts and report back to the forum. Just curious being an engineer; how do old brake hoses cause this to happen? I would think they would expand and not grab..
Thanks again.

kenmosher
08-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Sometimes the rubber delaminates on the inside and they get spongy and collapse causing a restriction (and constricting the return flow of fluid).

IL KIM
09-02-2006, 09:15 AM
I took both calipers off and cleaned the allen bolts and metal sleeves and the caliper holes, and then lubed everything up with nice waterproof grease. The left side sleeves were harder to get out than the right side. Then I took the GN out for a ride.

The front right still locked up on the first few brake applies, then stopped locking up. Still feels like the car wants to pull left with hard braking coming to a stop.

Mr. Keller; what year is your Reatta so I can get new caliper "bushings/sleeves" - are the bolts/sleeves the same as the rear Reatta calipers? (Good luck with the fuel pump issue and your plans to change out some parts this weekend!)

Another question in researching this site; I have had silicone brake fluid in my brake system for many many years, and did not know it is bad/not recommended for the powermaster. What happens if I start adding synthetic brake fluid that is compatible with Dot 3 and Dot 5 fluids to the system?

Thanks.

Keller
09-02-2006, 03:09 PM
The Reattas (I have two...long story...want to buy one? :brows: ) is an entirely different beast. It has four wheel discs, with ABS, and a completely different caliper than the G-body at both ends of the car. However, it does use an accumulator (different than the TRs) in the brake system. That is the only similarity.

New caliper bolts and 'sleeves' are pretty cheap. And any parts house should stock them or be able to get them in a day or so.

Caliper bolt/pin:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=351&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Caliper%20Bolt%2FPin

Caliper Sleeves and O-rings (inner/outer):
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=1055&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Caliper%20Bushing
Note that I found a kit listed somewhere as Raybestos H5610 and Wagner H5524. A kit does the whole 'axle'.

Calipers: A remaned one can be had for $10 + core. Pretty hard to beat. Plus, I think it has all new sleeves and O-rings.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=5003&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Caliper

I've been using the Valvoline SynPower DOT3 synthtic fluid with no problems. However, its not mixed with any other fluid.

IL KIM
09-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Wow; gotta love the internet. Thanks Keller!