PDA

View Full Version : torque converter bolts..

buddiiee
09-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Ok, I got this loud well.. knock, tick or whatever.. I call it a knock myself. So I hear that it may be converter bolts loose... So someone thats had this condition explain to me how this noise behaves.. Does this ticking go up with the rpms? Does it only tick AT start up and then disappear or what.

PaCemkr86
09-07-2006, 11:38 PM
if the noise is coming from your converter or trans area, just unbolt the converter and slid it back 1/4 inch and start the car, this will isolte if the problem is in the engine or trans area

Keller
09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Does this ticking go up with the rpms?
Anything attached to the engine, or engine related, would.

buddiiee
09-08-2006, 08:23 PM
and how easy is unbolting the converter?

mark ace
09-08-2006, 09:02 PM
EASY! REMOVE THE COVER ( FOUR BOLTS 10MM WRENCH ) THAN REMOVE THE ( THREE BOLTS 15MM WRENCH ) :flame:

buddiiee
09-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, i did it.. So heres the deal. My mechanic said, that he too, had a similar problem with his engine knocking. so of course, he checked his TC bolts first... he said that when attempting to tighten them, they barely moved, if at all even... but the noise went away though. The same thing happened to me. i torqued em down, but i dont think i did anything, as nothing really moved. but, i couldnt hear that knocking as loud... (just idled her in the driveway though) so i will drive her to work tomorrow on the roads, to see if it really did anything. with my luck, it didnt do anything :( we shall see....

PaCemkr86
09-11-2006, 11:21 PM
take all the converter bolts out and start it and then you will know if you have engine or trans issues

buddiiee
09-12-2006, 08:31 PM
will do............

Nightrain
09-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Don't forget that under load the flex plate will deflect toward the engine. If you have very little clearance between the bolts and the cover (or crossover pipe when cover is not installed) the plate will flex enough to "push" the bolts toward the X-over pipe. A bent torque converter access plate could also be the recipient of close bolt hits. Makes a nice machine gun cadence under load.

buddiiee
09-13-2006, 09:28 PM
AHHHHH I seee.... Hmmm. Ya know, When I did somewhat torque down my four 15mm bolts on my flexplate, I did leave the inspection cover off. I then started her and i didnt hear a whole lot of the mysterious knocking like I previously did... hmmm :) Am going out on a test drive right now... (crossing fingers...)

PaCemkr86
09-13-2006, 09:34 PM
good luck

and keep us posted :tup:

buddiiee
09-13-2006, 11:10 PM
:( Oh well, I gave it a shot... Its rod knock... DAM. Oh well, theres always next season... Thanks for the replys guys.