PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler

eddy 1
09-11-2006, 10:04 PM
I bought a transmission cooler a few months ago from Kirban. It is a nice unit. It came with the cooler, piping, tie straps, & 4 fittings, but no instructions. I know where two of the fittings go on the cooler, but I can't figure out where the other two go because they don't fit the ends of the OEM transmission lines. I'm thinking maybe I received the wrong fittings. Does anyone have a diagram or instructions on how to plum/install an external transcooler? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

chrisgarrett
09-11-2006, 10:09 PM
What do you mean by "the ends of the transmission lines"? Do you mean from the radiator trans cooler or from the connections near the battery?

chrisgarrett
09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I mounted mine on the rad crossbars. I don't like the little ties that go through the radiator because in time they can damage the radiator.

chrisgarrett
09-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Here's the connection at the oem trans lines by the battery.

eddy 1
09-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I meant by the battery(the ends of the trans lines). I guess I was sent the wrong fittings, but thats no big deal. I'll run out to Home Depot to purchase the proper ones. Good picture! Did you bypass the trans cooler in the rad or are both coolers linked together? If they are linked together can you explain to me how the external trans cooler is plumbed to the existing steal lines by the battery?Thanks for your help.

chrisgarrett
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I by-passed the one in the radiator, but here's a how-to if you decide to go with both.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/Cooler.JPG

eddy 1
09-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks alot Chrisgarrett! That picture helped bigtime. I forgot to ask did you make those trans cooler brackets or did you buy them? It looks alot more professional & stirdier with the brackets. Once again thanks.

chrisgarrett
09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I just bought some square aluminum tubing and some u-brackets at the hardware store and painted them black. You can't see it, but there's a square bar on the top and the bottom and I drilled the bolts into them. It's probably overbuilt, but the cooler gets a lot of air and it is very sturdy. You need to take out the bottom tarpaper shroud and get a long extension to reach the grill bolts. It's a pain to remove everything, but it's a one time job.