PDA

View Full Version : Art Carr kit

ajrosso455
09-17-2006, 12:48 AM
put an Art Carr shift kit in my Jasper rebuilt original GN 200 4R, now it shifts softer during WOT and absurdly harsh during light throttle. Put the stock relief spring back in per Allan at A.C., corrected the 2nd gear start and the for the most part the lack of 4th gear. All in all the trans worked great pre-kit, now it sucks! :deadhorse . What can be done to firm up the WOT 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. If I put all the valve body springs and check balls back the way they were and leave the stiffer accumulator spings in?...this will probably not help. I work on cars all day everyday, the last thing I want to do any more is work and rework and rework my own cars at night. opinions/suggestions. I'm leaning toward putting everything back to the way it was and trying to return the kit. frustrated!

Keller
09-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Did you try adjusting the TV cable at all after you installed the kit?

ajrosso455
09-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Oh yeah, the TV is text book right. Problem is it shifts early on the 1-2 and 2-3, but late on 3-4. The stiffer relief spring was causing too much line pressure and therefore overkill on the TV and govenor. I'm afraid the kit just isn't compatible with modifications made in the rebuild. Still wondering if the stiffer accumulator springs would work with all my original spring tensions.

kenmosher
09-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Accumulator springs should still work (but will cause pretty harsh shifts, I would think.)

mark ace
09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
mixing valve body mods of different kits is going to have very poor results! :screwy: you can play with accum. springs thou. sometimes a real soft spring or no spring at all can help you out of a bad situation with shift feel