PDA

View Full Version : What did I buy?

BASSr
09-23-2006, 07:37 AM
OK, I think I got a pretty good deal (don't even want to tell you how cheap it was) but the proof of the pudding will be after I install it.

I picked up a used 200R4 at the Englishtown Swap Meet yesterday. Is supposedly out of an '86 MC SS. The CRF tag pretty much confirms the year and the torque converted has a CFFB tag on it with D5 stammped on the inside. The buy guaranteed it to be in good condition (and I even got his name, address, & phone number just in case) with about 51k miles on it.

I want to use it as an interim tranny in my TR while I get the original one rebuilt. Any thoughts on how the MC SS tranny's differ from the GN/TR 200R4's?

Bruce

kenmosher
09-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Valve body, shift pressures, governor calibration, and I *think* it doesn't have the 4 gear pressure switch.

PaCemkr86
09-23-2006, 10:51 AM
If you are going to use it, just to get around while your TR trans i being rebuilt it should work.
I tried one last year and it worked, but it would shift out of 1st gear at like 10 miles an hour and the shift points where kinda screwy, but it got me around

BASSr
09-23-2006, 12:43 PM
If you are going to use it, just to get around while your TR trans i being rebuilt it should work.
I tried one last year and it worked, but it would shift out of 1st gear at like 10 miles an hour and the shift points where kinda screwy, but it got me around
Yes, I just wantit to get me around a little better than the Monster trans that is in it now. The Monster shifts way to high and is really annoying. I had an '87 MC SS and it shifted very nice behind the 305 and a built 406. So my assumption is that it will work just fine for around town. I do not race the car or expect it to be anything more than to perform like the stock trans in the TR.

Bruce

PaCemkr86
09-23-2006, 01:58 PM
then it sounds like it will do exactly what you bought it to do.. be sure and post up your results

Keller
09-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Swapping over the TR governor might help adjust the shift points a bit. But if its strictly temporary, it might be best to just swap it, fill, and forget while the BRF unit is being built.

BASSr
09-30-2006, 06:28 AM
OK, got the tranny installed yesterday. I changed the front & rear seals, the filter and cleaned the pan. When I took the pan off it was pretty clear of sediment, so that was a good sign.

It works pretty good. Does shift a little early out of 1st and the shifts are pretty soft, but overall I am a happy camper since the Monster trans was just too much for the street as far as I am concerned. I noticed that it does have only three wires coming off the connector. Why the difference in the MC 200R4's and the GN/T-Type one's?

Not bad for $112 at the swap meet!

Bruce

Royal-T
09-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Why the difference in the MC 200R4's and the GN/T-Type one's?Not bad for $112 at the swap meet!
Bruce

Ummmmmm.......:rolleyes: could it be because the MCSS had an anemic POS 305 under the hood and our Bad a$$ BUICKS are torques monsters or the fact that MCs are naturally aspirated and ours are boosted?! just my opinion of course...... :brows:

....oh yeah and $112- probably better than my %^%&&^& $2500 "bulletproof" tranny.....mutha:cuss: ....thats the last time i trust a friend on that.........i'd probably be in the 11's if i had a decent tranny...but enough ranting :rant:

kenmosher
09-30-2006, 09:35 AM
The MC doesn't have a 4th gear pressure switch (hence the wiring harness is different). Pump is probably a 7 vane, governor is different, core support is possibly different, valve body is different, pressure regulator is different, etc.

PaCemkr86
09-30-2006, 10:30 AM
is the lock up working? i had to change the harness and connector on the Monte Carlo trans i was using so i could still use converter lock up