PDA

View Full Version : Will not start when hot

bdminc
10-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I have a 1984 T-Type I just got it for$350.00. When i bought it it would not run at all,I installed 6 new injectors and a fuel pump, it starts now and runs ok (kinda has a miss at WOT). after i let it run for a whille it will not restart, I let it sit for about a half hour it will start again.......What is the next step to cure the warm no start problem???? Help PLEASE

AT7WE2
10-09-2006, 11:02 PM
does it actually die after it gets hot? if so, it *might* be the coil module. I just had to replace the module in my '87 because it kept dieing once it got good and hot - it wouldn't restart until the coil module had time to cool down. replaced the module and all is well. I'm not sure, but I think the hot-air cars have the same problem since they use the same module.

HTH

Rob

Keller
10-10-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure, but I think the hot-air cars have the same problem since they use the same module.
Different unit and different coil. But its easy to convert them to use the easier to obtain and cheaper 86/87 units. Info on this site.

AT7WE2
10-13-2006, 10:49 PM
bdminc - what ever happened with your starting problem??

a little irony here since I previously replied to your original post....

I'm now having the same problem with my '87. starts fine when cold, runs great, but if I shut it off and try to restart when it's hot it cranks and cranks and sounds like it's trying to start, but it won't until it cools off for just a few minutes. I'm guessing either cam or crank sensor - anyone want to chime in??

the *really* frustrating part about this is, first my coil module was bad (would die when hot and not restart until cooled off). replaced module...all is well. then TWO DAYS LATER, :what: the car starting popping and stumbling under boost - bad coil pack. replaced coil pack...all is well....until....THE NEXT DAY (today) :what: :what: now it has started this hard or no start problem when hot - it doesn't die, it just won't RE-start. :banghead:

bdminc
10-14-2006, 12:23 AM
im not sure whaere to tell you to go i have replaced the cam and crank sensors and now it will not start at all :deadhorse

kenmosher
10-14-2006, 10:14 AM
The crank sensor needs to be in the right slot (see the FAQs) and the cam sensor needs to be set (see the techinical section). Without that, it won't start ..

Mr. Tip Top
10-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Spark Plug Wire's !

Jerryl
10-16-2006, 09:03 PM
If the car is warm and you have spark when cranking it, yet will not start, make sure you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key in the on position. Your pump relay may be bad and is bypassed when the car runs.

deadlois
12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
to add to this, I had a bad oil soaked starter and replacing it fixed the problem. HTH