PDA

View Full Version : Houston downpipe and Cotton's stainless exhaust install advice

john saleeby
10-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Going to install my THDP and New exhaust. I plan on putting the car on jackstands and doing the removal/install in my garage. Will the jackstands work? Any gaskets I need to buy for the install? Any free advice to minimize mistakes/re-work would be helpful. Thanks in advance

kenmosher
10-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Pretty straight forward ... if you can get a copper downpipe gasket, that can help (there isn't one stock).

"Kiss" all flat metal to metal surfaces (like downpipe to turbo) with a large flat file to ensure no warpage or unevenness.

Mock everything up loosely until it's all installed and then start at the front and move towards the back as you tighten clamps and hangers ... all the while making sure clearances and fit are as you desire.

Use more jackstands to hold things in place if necessary.

On the downpipe, I like to install studs in place of the bolts on the turbo. Makes alignmen and installation a breeze! Also, you'll probably need a bunch of penetrant lube to break loose bolts without twisting them off ... soak everything (especially the the downpipe bolts thoroughly and let them sit for several hours with periodic "dousing" ...