PDA

View Full Version : emulator question

Lo Type
10-10-2006, 07:58 PM
I recently read in Nov. GMHTP in the "In a flash" article, the author states that "old GM chip engines such as TPI and turbo buicks have enjoyed real time emulators for years...."

I searched a bit and came up empty. If emulators are available for TR's, what is the reason for using scan tools or/with data loggers like Direct Scan etc. Correct me if Im wrong, but it seems like the emulator would be better in that you can make real time tuning changes as opposed to scanning, logging, then chip burning.

kenmosher
10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
The emulators aren't really very common because they are very fragile and the noise issues (RFI) can be troubling (even DirectScan has problems with it ... any time you put a big chunk of wire (antenna) through the Faraday cage enclosing the processor, you invite problems)

I built am EPROM switcher way back in the 80s and abandoned the project because it caused way more problems than it solved.

I've used the "Romulator" and it works OK, but the bottom line is that the stock ECM and chip calibrations are pretty amazing, dirt cheap, and very simple to tune and get good results out of.

Lo Type
10-12-2006, 09:13 PM
OK then, whats the necessary equipment and process for burning your own chips? Is there a site with info on learning how to understand the data on the chip and what changes have what effect on the tune?

kenmosher
10-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Simple equipment ... basically an EPROM burner and a hex editor.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/chips/chippage.html

www.tunercat.com

Lo Type
10-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Awesome info, thanks very much!!, Now, all I have to do is figure out if this is transferable to my 87 T-Type Lesabre. As I understand, it shares the same ecm, just a different prom.

turboadict
10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Quick question Ken, I can't find parts to do this here in the UK, I've tried though. Are there the components available to make a remote chip carrier if thats the right description, so that where you actually plug in the chip can be relocated, to say the glove box or wherever so the ecm can remain buttoned up behind the kick panel.

I thought maybe female part chip goes into, ribbon connector and male end for ecm? Would there be voltage problems with the length of cable etc.

kenmosher
10-20-2006, 01:47 PM
The Robinson/Nugent chip carriers were discontinuted a long time ago, but Casper's may still have a few in stock ... you'd have to have a "dummy" chip in the carrier and then solder wires to each pin OR you can try to jimmy up a DIP socket (or desolder and resolder a ZIP socket on the board).

I've done it ... it wasn't pretty and then I found anything with more than about 2 feet of ribbon cable (unshielded) caused all sorts of havoc.

SO... can it be done? Yep. Is it a total pain in the glutious maximus? Absolutely! :D

turboadict
10-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Hmmmmmmm, thanks Ken. Could deffinatly do without any ecm related problems and like to keep pain away from the glute area as much as possible, so I think I'll leave it alone.